We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food allergy warning

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Food allergy warning

We will be in Barcelona for several days in May. My husband has a life threatening allergy to sesame seeds. He carries an epipen for emergencies, but it is obviously much better to avoid sesame seeds. We do not speak Spanish. He would like to have a printed warning to show at eateries. (We have done this while traveling to other countries and have found restaurants and even street vendors to be very responsive.). Can someone help with a translation? Here is the gist of what we would like to say:

"Sesame Allergy

I am very allergic to sesame and sesame products, like:

sesame seeds, sesame oil, tahini.

Eating these products risks my life

Please make sure that the dishes I order do not include any sesame products and do not touch them

Thank you."

Thanks for your help.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,846 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food allergy warning

You can log onto Google translate and it will do the translation for you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food allergy warning

I have used google translate for this very task in other languages for other trips. When I checked out the translations they did not express the situation clearly. I have found asking for help on Tripadvisor to be the best results. Food allergies make traveling challenging...even when you speak the language!

Drammen, Norway
Level Contributor
60 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food allergy warning

I agree with it being better to ask someone who's a native Spanish speaker (or at least someone fluent) for something like this. Google Translate is okay for translating simple things and getting the gist of sentences, but it sucks at grammar and many words are just.. wrong. When dealing with potentially life threatening situations like that, it's much better to have someone translate it for you, so you're 100% sure your warning is not only correct, but clear and easy to understand.

I'm sure some of the Barcelona natives can translate it for you, to Catalan as well maybe? :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food allergy warning

Google translate may be useful but too many times gives weird translations... I would not rely on it for anything important! Definitely not for something that could put my life on risk.

Joanne H: luckily for your husband, sesame seeds are not widely used around here. In traditional Catalan cuisine and in most of regional Spanish dishes sesame is not used in any forn. Only in some pastries with Moorish influence you may find sesame seeds (but not very common). Of course you can find anything in modern/fusion/molecular restaurants. But the good news you will not be very limited in your choices.

Sesame is sésamo or ajonjolí in Spanish, sèsam in Catalan.

Translation of your text:

************ Spanish:

Alergia al sésamo.

Sufro de alergia grave al sésamo (ajonjolí) y sus derivados, por ejemplo:

Semillas de sésamo, aceite de sésamo, tahina

Ingerir estos productos supone un riesgo vital para mi.

Por favor, asegúrese de que mis platos no contengan sésamo ni sus derivados ni siquiera en mínimas cantidades. Evite tocarlos.

¡Muchas gracias!

*********** Catalan:

Al·lèrgia al sèsam.

Sofreixo d'al·lèrgia greu al sèsam i els seus derivats, per exemple:

Llavors de sèsam, oli de sèsam, tahina

Ingerir aquests productes suposa un risc vital per a mi.

Per favor, asseguri's que els meus plats no continguin sèsam ni els seus derivats ni tan sols en mínimes quantitats. Eviti tocar-los.

Moltes gràcies!

----

Even the Spanish translation would be enough in Barcelona, the Catalan translation may make a big difference in some places (or make no difference at all). I would print both translations, in each side of a card.

Have a great and allergy-free trip!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food allergy warning

Haha! You were speaking while I was translating ;-))

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food allergy warning

Second tough, in the Catalan translation better write "Pateixo" instead of "Sofreixo" (same meaning but sounds better)

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food allergy warning

Thanks so much! I will print both on each side of a card. It will be very helpful to have when eating in Barcelona. Also, thanks for including the information about the general use (or non use) of sesame products in typical foods found in Barcelona. It sounds like it should be pretty easy to identify and avoid sesame. The written warnings will make it even easier and safer. I appreciate your help.

8. Re: Food allergy warning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2014, 14:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food allergy warning

Wow! Thanks! That is amazing! Wish we had something like Allergychef here in the US. Have you tried any of the restaurants?

Barcelona, Spain
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Food allergy warning

Yes! I've tried at least 10! ;)

I use allergychef all the time.

I talked to the founders and they told me they will have the website translated really soon which is great for non-spanish speakers. And also thinking in expanding the service out of barcelona.