We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

I am a first time visitor to barcelona and would love some advise regarding an upcoming holiday.....both hotels get rave reviews on tripadvisor; the montecarlo seems a bit quieter (although it is located on las ramblas) whereas some complain of the rumbling of the subway with Jazz....

jazz has a lovely pool/lounge area which seems pleasant for the end of the day; montecarlo has some chairs on the roof, but it doesn't look particularly large....

either way i have booked a smallish room (not the super small of the montecarlo, just one size up, but it still looks rather spartan)....

or, the basic room at the jazz....

any thoughts???

thanks in advance for your help!!

sheryl from toronto (still snow piled high)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

drsheryl,

Here we are in T'O, it was -1 ° this morning and I've got snow/ice outside my window.... hello Spring??? Meanwhile, a few weeks ago, I was drooling over the fist-sized oranges dangling from the trees at the Hospital de Sant Pau.

I've stayed at the Hotel Jazz in the corner suite, facing the street. So much room, so many windows and no noise at all (even from the busy street outside). Perhaps the reviewer had a bad room or was suffering from jet lag already. I've read similar comments about the B Hotel and again, I had a good/quiet stay there too. Btw, "The Princess and The Pea" was written about me. If there's a strange smell, a crooked painting, chipped paint, uneven tiles, I will be the first to notice it. :-)

Hotel Montecarlo is a cruise-passenger favourite. I've read that it's very nice. Price-wise, it should be a bit cheaper?

Barcelona has so many nice hotels. Have you looked at Hotel Pulitzer?

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

hi gigi's mom!! (my ex-sister-in law was named gigi!!!):

thanks for your nice response!!

i haven't looked at the pulitzer--although i've seen it mentioned....sounds like you prefer it???

i'm travelling alone--going on a cruise after 3 days in BCN....

and trying to be somewhat budget conscious....the corner room looks great at jazz, but i have chosen their "jazz" room--and i think that it's a SMALL jazz room built for 1 person....so, it works about to about $30 per night more than the lg. single room at the montecarlo--which looks much more barren and i believe doesn't have a window!!!

the thing that grabbed me about the jazz was the pool on the roof....i don't swim, but i can see myself hanging out here in the evening or late afternoon rather than being alone in my room!! the montecarlo has a rooftop, but on their website, it looks like it has 3 chairs....i guess if i'm boiling, i might dip my feet in the pool!!

the montecarlo sounds like their are lots of places to grab a bite right across the street....i like that!! i tend to eat alot of fruit, yoghurt, etc and like to keep stuff in my room!!!

what do you think??

p.s. why do you go to BCN so often?????

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

" p.s. why do you go to BCN so often????? "

I drank some water at the Font de Canaletes some years ago and have become addicted to Bcn. :-)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_de_Canaletes

Yes, the Hotel Jazz roof terrace is very pleasant. The pool is pretty small (as all small bldg pools tend to be). Hotel Pulitzer does not have a pool. And yes, I once felt the same way about living within hopping distance of the Boqueria market, lol. On that trip, we must have swung in and out 3-4 times a day. Since you love fruit, you will love the fruit juices and salads there. My son also likes the fruit popsicles.

How about Hotel Silken Ramblas? I haven't checked if the singleton rate is higher or lower but it's still pretty close to the Boqueria, on a nice (quieter) street. They have a small pool

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187497-d1408080…

Edited: 31 March 2014, 16:41
toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

thanks again, gigi's mom!!

i just did a quick search on tripadvisor and people are not happy with silken--too noisy! (and it's more expensive than the jazz)....

i think that i'll probably stay at the jazz (unless one of the 5stars miraculously lower their prices to $100 per night!!!)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

More expensive? Amazing. I guess you'll have to make do at the Jazz and bring your earplugs just in case. Btw, all pharmacies sell earplugs. :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

No earplugs needed for the Jazz. Just ask for a quiet room on a higher floor. The standard rooms are quite big and the bed enormous and very comfy. The roof terrace is lovely and a nice place to chill out with a glass of cava. Skip the hotel breakfast though and go across the road to G_m's and my favourite, Cafe Viena, for great coffee, fresh OJ and the legendary flauta con jamon iberico. Yum!

toronto
Level Contributor
53 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

thanks again, gigi's mom and nicoleta!! i have requested a high floor, as was mentioned in the "tips" section on tripadvisor, but of course they won't guarantee the request.....

i will visiting in the summer and it was suggested that being on the 6th or 7th floor makes for an easy hop to the terrace!! they seem to have 2 standard rooms--but since i'm one person, i took the lower priced room.....i'm a bit nervous about that because i suspect that the more expensive rooms are better (no doubt!!!)

thanks again for all your help:)

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

You'll get a much better deal across the road in this one.

www.hotel-lleo.com/

9. Re: Hotel Jazz or Hotel Montecarlo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 06:17