We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

Perth
12 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

My partner and I will be travelling to Barcelona for a short stay from the 28th Dec '14 - 30th Dec '14. I have book to stay at the Travelodge Barcelona Poblenou and just wanted to get some tips and information from anyone on the following;

1. Best way to get from the airport to the hotel. Keeping in mind we don't know the language or how to get around.

2. Any nice places to visit to eat during the days. We are on a strict budget so nothing too pricey.

3. Best way to get around during the day? Do we need to get day passes or anything for public transport and if so how much are they.

4. Anyone that has been during this time of the year what should we expect in terms of weather?

Anything else that you think we should do on our trip would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

Top questions to the right can answer your questions, language will not be a problem for you.

www.Barcelona-tourist-guide.com www.barcelonaturisme.com www.timeout.com/barcellona

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,745 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

Hi Jen

1.) The easiest -and probably more convenient- is simply and plainly a taxi. There are plenty in the taxi rank at the airport (all are black and yellow: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Prius_… ) and it should cost around 30/35€ -daytime Mon-Fri. Alternatively, you could take the bus #46 at the airport to Plaça Espanya (end of the line), then metro red line L1 to Urquinaona and there switch to yellow line 4 to PobleNou... as you can see a bit cumbersome, yet much cheaper. Get your bearings here: mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metr…

2.) Check the right-hand side column of this forum for ideas on what to visit. For choice of restaurants and places to eat you'll be spoiled so don't worry, in any case, have a peek at this magazine for getting some inspiration: http://www.timeout.com/barcelona/food-drink

3.) Definitively on foot... Barcelona is a city made for walking. And when you're tired and need to take a bus/metro/tram, the most cost-effective is the T-10 travelcard (10 journeys for roughly 10 euros): barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/…00-t10.html and you can buy them at any metro station: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

4.) I 'haven't been'... I just live here :)... weather in late December tend to be rather mild, with temperatures between 5 and 12ºC. Snow is rare. Humidity however can be high at times which make comfort temperatures to appear lower. Note though that sunny days are also the norm through the year in this city thus cold but sunny can be a good way to define late December.

5.) Anything you think you'd like to know feel free to ask :)))

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,835 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

Although Poblenou is a little way (not too far) out of the centre the Travelodge is quite well placed and there are plenty of very good places to eat near the Travelodge (on and around Rambla de Poblenou, for example) where you will pay rather less than you will for equivalent meals in the city centre.

Worth mentioning for people on a budget is 100Montaditos which you will pass walkking from the Poblenou metro station to the Travelodge. This place mainly sells small, open sandwiches. We stayed at the Travelodge in September 2013 and had our breakfast there most mornings. Coffee and a sandwich was only €1.80 which is hard to beat. Pics and some words here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

A way to eat high quality food inexpensively in Poblenou is to go to L'Escola it's the restaurant run by L’Escola Superior d’Hostaleria de Barcelona (the School of Hospitality) where people train to be chefs, sommeliers, waiters, etc. The food is prepared and served by students at the school, it's the sort of food you'd expect in a classy restaurant but much cheaper

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

I was going to suggest l'Escola too. I had an excellent set dinner there for 18 euros.

http://www.eshob.com/en/restaurantes/lescola/

Another very popular and moderately priced place on that side of Barcelona is La Forquilla. I didn't get to go there as it was booked solid for weeks in advance.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

I considered La Forquilla as well but didn't recommend it as they said they were on a strict budget, and whilst the tasting menu at La Forquilla is fantastic and very reasonable compared to some of its competitors I thought it might be outside a strict budget

Edited: 01 April 2014, 17:29
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

In the same bldg as l'Escola, I've been told that l'Ham offers meals for under 10 euros. It's more casual.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

It's a fixed price menu G_M, 9.90€. They have a lunchtime menu and an evening menu, both follow the menu del dia format, as it's also prepared and served by the students its also very good value, I understand from a friend who works in the area and often eats lunch there that it is popular with the staff of nearby offices at lunchtime

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

Yes, 9,90 € for the fixed price menu, to be exact.I was being lazy. Thanks, Doff.

Barcelona, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Barcelona for the First Time

In barcelona we used FriendRyde from airport to hotel where u know in advance how much u pay. the service is super friendly and inexpensive. it s like airbnb for rides. i think they charge per trip.