We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barca alone in June. PANIC.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Barca alone in June. PANIC.

I've booked my hotel (Des Artistes on Gran Via). My flight arrives in to El Prat at 10pm. I'm slightly panicked as to how to get to my accommodation that late at night, as I am travelling alone & really don't want to look like a panicked tourist at 10 in the evening!

This will be my first time traveling alone. Does anyone have any hints and tips for Barca? I've generally got my wits about me and I'm always the organised sensible one when abroad so no idea what's worrying me this time!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Barcelona
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Barcelona Day Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
BrightSide
City Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Private Tours
Barcelona Segway Glides
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,345 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

hahahaha... my dear friend, 10pm is not 'that' late for our standards... you won't find empty streets, so don't panic. Btw, please don't say Barca, there's no shortening the name, it's Barcelona.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

Haha 10pm late for little old, British me :)

It just doesn't seem like a 'safe' time of day to be trying to figure out how to get to my accommodation in a strange city.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

I think you mean Guest House Des Artistes? It's near Tetuan metro. Since you are worried, perhaps you should grab a taxi for under 30 euros. The 2nd best alternative would be the Aerobus from the airport to the centre of town at Placa Catalunya + a shorter taxi ride. Total about 16 euros.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

That's the one. It's named a number of different things on various booking websites.

The aerobus + cab...That seems like a better option. Thank you!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,712 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

I can't imagine how you come to the conclusion that the bus and taxi is the better option. It's the cheaper option. To reduce the risk of panic simply write down the name and address of your guest house and show it to the taxi driver at the airport. You'll be there in less than 20 minutes. You're far more likely to fly into a tizz when you get off the bus into a busy city.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
83 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

Hello Tortmemtedxo,

You really should not be panicking! Barcelona is a safe city even at 10pm as you will see a lot of people outside or having dinner in restaurants.

The best way for you, since you're feeling that way, is to take the cab all the way to your hotel. You'll pay around 30 Euro and you'll feel more comfortable. You can grab something to eat somewhere next to it and be ready to start discovering the city the next day.

I'm sure you'll be very fine!

I hope you have a great trip!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

You have nothing to panic about at that time, or even later (you'll see when you're in town)

But, for convenience, in your case I will just take a taxi (this is actually what I do when arriving late and tired, and I do live here)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

Unless you actually arrive in Barca, a village in the middle of nowhere in central Spain, instead of Barcelona. In that case I guess you'll have reasons for panicking, as your accommodation will be about 400 Km away, LOL ;-)))

(Barca looks quite cute, by the way. One day I must go there and visit)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,019 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

Talking about eating, there is a very good neighbourhood Basque restaurant, Restaurante El Chato just across Gran Via and in the middle of the next block (going away from Tetuan) so just over 100m away from Des Artistes. It's been one of my local restaurants in Barcelona for many years.

About the same distance away is another excellent traditional locals' bar / restaurant, Restaurante Portoles it's round the back of the block immediately in front of des Artistes on C/ de la Diputació, it serves fresh traditional Catalan dishes, documented in Catalan on two blackboards on the wall so you might t need the menu translator in the FAQs on the right of this page.

Another of my locals is Xampú Xampany on the corner one block past the roundabout at Tetuan, it describes itself as s Cafe, Bar, terrace, Restaurante, and shop (Deli and Wine). A great place for a drink and some raciones (the local, larger version of tapas) of some of the excellent charcuterie, cheeses, etc

You'll find Gran Via a pleasant place to walk, especially at night when the traffic has died down, as it has wide tree lined pedestrian and cycling areas on both sides of the main roadway as well as the pavements in front of the buildings.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barca alone in June. PANIC.

It is very nice indeed Belsaita.

I wonder what would become of that little place if all tourists who go to Barcelona and say Barca ended up there.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 12:21