We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Hello there friendly Barcelona contributors! I think I've narrowed it down to one apartment for our late Sept vacation. My husband and I will be spending 8 days in Barcelona. We will take a taxi from the airport. We don't really plan to use the HOHO bus, so don't need to be close to the route. What do you think of my choice? Is this a generally safe area? I've read the reviews and renters seem to be satisfied. The only thing is, it doesn't seem to be "close" to a metro stop. Would Jaume be the closest one? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

http://bit.ly/RqnNJZ

…street-viewer.eu/barcelona/…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Hola SanJoseHound,

Where did you read reviews? On the Venere website, it says it's a new listing and there are no reviews on TA. Personally, this is NOT my favourite part of town but at least it's 'cleaner' than it used to be. Some years ago, the little square nearby (Plaça George Orwell) used to be called 'Plaça del Tripi'.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187497-d59…

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Hi Gigis_mum,

I read reviews on tripadvisor, but just posted the venere listing as I was looking for feedback on the safety of the location, not necessarily the comfort or amenities of the apartment. The reviews themselves don't mention any safety issues like "don't walk around at night" and are written by mostly flipkey verified reviewers, although 25 reviews isn't a ton. Would this be equivalent to staying in the bad parts of El Raval?

I've listed another link below, an apt on Pla de Palau (is this in el Born?) although we haven't ruled out Inspired Apartments yet. I am that crazy person that booked a res at Sant Pau before making any other arrangements :)

Here's the tripadvisor link for Inspired Apartments with reviews:

http://bit.ly/1m8WYX0

Pla de Palau apt:

http://bit.ly/1m8XHHM

Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate all your replies!

Carminia

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Thanks for saying thanks, Carminia. I know I am picky and opinionated - my family tells me that all the time. You have excellent taste and both apts are gorgeous with great reviews. I do like the location of the 2nd one more. It's on Pla de Palau, the border of El Born and Barceloneta. Close to França train station and Barceloneta metro station, with lots of nice shops and restaurants. A very pleasant area.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 06:15
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Hola Gigis_mum,

I'm glad you're picky & opinionated - that's why you're such an asset to the forum! Thank you for being so generous with your time and patiently answering the same questions over & over again.

Carminia

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Hi Carminia... just responded your PM and it seems GG and I have chosen the same, eh? :)))

The area is all right, safety-wise. Have an idea on how it looks like: infocatalonia.eu/w/… the Pla de Palau is just 200m from Passeig del Born.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 16:59
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Thanks Enric!

I'm leaning toward #2 also as it seems to be closer to a metro stop, although my husband and I enjoy walking.

Train station question: apt #2 is close to the Franca station, but the Franca station does not go to the San Pol de Mar stop, correct? I just checked the RENFE Rodalies schedule and there is no "Barcelona-Franca" station listed in the drop down menu.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

barcelona - estació de frança

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

Got it, thanks slatkin!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

SJHound,

I just remembered you are going to Sant Pau for lunch! There's no direct train from França to Sant Pol de Mar.

1) Metro+Rodalies R1 from Plaça de Catalunya:

You can take the L4 metro (Barceloneta-Urquinaona + short walk to Plaça de Catalunya), then the Rodalies R1 from Plaça de Catalunya direct to Sant Pol de Mar.

2) Rodalies R2 from França to Sants, then R1 from Sants to Sant Pol de Mar.

USA
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Narrowed down apt choice, pls provide feedback

I spent quite a bit of time in this area when I spent a month in Barcelona in November 2011, and I quite liked it. Yes, there are tourists. But I was fortunate to also meet some locals at Mirilla early on in my stay and so met more and more folks local to that neighborhood. I don't know about the particular apartments, but I think the neighborhood is just fine.