We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montjuic for the day?

Philly
Level Contributor
273 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Montjuic for the day?

We will have 8 full days in Barcelona for the first week in July. Our hotel is in Eixample. We are starting to plan our days. I want to see the Museu Nacional d'Art and I know the Magic Fountain is there. Since this area is far from the hotel I thought we would try to spend the day in Montjuic. I have a few questions. Looking at the map it seems as if there are no train stations nearby. Am I reading this correctly? If that is the case what is the best way to get there? We definitely want to see the fountain and the first show is at 21:00. How much else is there to do in the area? Lastly if someone could recommend a nice place to eat in the area that would be great. Most likely we will have either a late lunch or early dinner there just prior to the first fountain show. Thanks in advance!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montjuic for the day?

Yes there are, two metro lines (L1 and L3) at Plaça Espanya plus several bus lines. From there to MNAC is just 300 yards. Having said that, note that Montjuïc is a huge district and MNAC/FontMàgica are just two of the attractions there: barcelonaturisme.com/Parc-de-Montjuic/_xMCfM…

Have a look at the metro map here: mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metr…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montjuic for the day?

Montjuic is not so far from l'Eixample, not even the far right part. Barcelona is really very compact with a great metro/bus/taxi network. Are you still staying at the Barcelona Doubletree? That's only 5 stops away by metro: L5 blue line to Sants, transfer for free to green line and ride it to Plaça Espanya.

The museums have cafés/restaurants. Otherwise, you could grab a bite to eat in either the food court of Las Arenas shopping centre or in one of its many restaurants.

Philly
Level Contributor
273 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montjuic for the day?

Thanks for the responses. Yes, we are still staying at the Alexandra Doubletree for the duration. I am excitedly booking activities now. For example, I just booked a Vivaldi concert at Palau de la Música Catalana.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Montjuic for the day?

PALAU DE LA MÚSICA CATALANA: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

you might like too EL GRAN TEATRE DEL LICEU: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

Edited: 20 April 2014, 23:05
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,826 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montjuic for the day?

I doubt you would find enough on Montjiuc to keep you occupied for a full day and certainly not until the fountain starts at 9 pm. The fountain is not really on Montjuic but is almost at the city ground level at the bottom of the hill in front of the Palau Nacional, the National Art Museum of Catalonia (Museo Nacional d'Art de Catalunya or MNAC)

This thread from yesterday may give you some perspective

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k738…

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,223 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montjuic for the day?

If you are art and architecture fans there's enough for the day, with the Miró Foundation and MNAC and, very near the Fountain, Caixaforum with interesting exhibitions (open till 8pm minimum.

There's also the Mies van der Rohe Pavilion, the Olympic Stadium + Sports museum and Poble Espanyol, the Spanish village which has replicas of buildings from all over Spain housing mainly shops (craft shops) but also an art gallery and several restaurants. If you prebook a table at one you get free entry to the village

Aside from all of those there are good views out over the city and the port from Miramar (a shortish walk from where the funicular is) and from the castle (bus or cable-car up to that), and great views over more of the city from the terrace in front of MNAC. There is currently an exhibition on Barcelona after the Civil War in the castle. I've only seen it advertised, not actually been so have no idea if it is in Catalan only

Edited: 21 April 2014, 11:21
7. Re: Montjuic for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16