We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

I am planning a trip to Barcelona in May and have learned enough to know that I want to see the old parts of town, especially, if I can see some buildings that date back to Roman times. However, I am confused by the neighborhood designations seen on Trip Advisor and elsewhere. Are Cuitat Vella, El Born, and Barri Gotic basically the same in terms of architecture and amenities? Is one contained in the other (I saw one map that had Cuitat Vella as encompassing both El Born and Barri Gotic)?

To be more specific: If they are three different areas, what is unique about each one such that I may want to see all three? The other main question: is exploring both sides of La Rambla encouraged? I plan to explore the east side, but I am not sure what is on the west side that is worth seeing

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

Ciutat Vella is the district that encompasses the Raval, Barri Gotic, Sant Pere Santa Caterina i la Ribera and la Barceloneta. For practical puposes, let's forget about Barcleoneta. You basically have three neighbourhoods. The Raval is the most recent and was not part of the Roman city. It's is not of much historic interest, although it is very interesting culturally.

The Barri Gotic is the very oldest part of the city and that's where you'll find the Roman walls. I don't think there are any roman buildings to see, only bits and parts.

Sant Pere, Santa Caterina i La Ribera is the old medieval part of the city in which you will find El Born. El Born is part of La Ribera which itself is part of the larger aforementioned neighbourhood.

Here's a simple and accurate map: …wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Districte_de_Ciutat…

The Barri Gotic and La Ribera have the most historical interest, but all areas have their appeal. I would definitely take a walk around the Raval if I had time. There are few interesting historical buildings such as the Antic hospital de la Santa Creu behind the Boqueria Market.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

hi,

"ciutat vella" is the name of the district , it's an administrative and bureocratic division. there are 10 districs in Barcelona

el Born is the name of one of the ancient neiborghoods of Barcelona..others are Raval, Santa Caterina, Sant Pere and la Ribera, Barri Gotic.... In fact, el born is a portion of La Ribera.

Barri Gotic contain most of the main touristic places of the old city: Catedral, Sant Just, plaça de Sant Jaume, Plaça del Rei....

Born contains the famous Santa MAria del MAr, the new museum of el Born, the Montcada street (with Picasso Museum) and there are also lots of restaurants and shops....

Santa Caterina and Sant Pere are less touristic but contains Palau de la Musica, the Church of Sant Pere etc...

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

ups..I forgot il Raval...there are lots of interesting places there as the Hospital de la Santa CReu and the Biblioteca de Catalunya, MaCB, the church of Betlem, the CCCB, the rambla del Raval, teathers, etc There are also shops and restaurants very interestings but some areas are a bit "cutres" in my opinion...

Visit both sides of la Rambles are interesting, yes! but I never suggest to stop in les Rambles to lunch or drink a beer unless you want to pay a fortune for nothing...

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

ups! I was writting at the same time of Monsieur!! :-)

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

Thanks to you both for your replies. Very helpful!

6. Re: Cuitat Vella, El Born, Barri Gotic, what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:16