We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in L'Eixample

Baltimore
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in L'Eixample

My husband and I are heading to Barcelona for La Merce' this year. We are looking for a mid-priced hotel in the L'Eixample area and have come up with a few choices. So far we have found Hotel Pulitzer, Hotel Jazz, Sixtytwo Hotel and Catalonia Square. Was wondering if we could get some insider info as to if one of these is best, and /or if there are any others we should consider?

Thanks so much!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

Hola BaltimoreBaltimore,

These are all very nice hotels and 3 of them are hopping distance from each other. I've stayed at Hotel Jazz while my Toronto neighbour stayed at Hotel Pulitzer. We were both happy. The Pulitzer and the Hotel Catalonia Plaza Catalunya are on a small street off of Placa Catalunya; it's relatively quiet yet extremely convenient. Hotel Jazz is on a busy street but I heard no noise at all (good soundproofing). Sixtytwo Hotel is on the tony Passeig de Gracia - you can't go wrong there.

I am a notorious foodie and I travel with a ravenous teenager. Therefore, I need to be close to food sources at all times. If I were you, I would go with one of the 3 hotels near Placa Catalunya. More interesting cafes in that area (like my favourite Cafe Viena). If you don't need to snack and can survive on 3 solid meals, Passeig de Gracia will work for you. There are some decent cafes on the adjacent streets too (the ones on P de Gracia tend to be expensive and really touristy).

Placa Catalunya is so central that it's an easy walk up to l'Eixample and down to Las Ramblas/Barri Gotic.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Baltimore
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

Thanks so much your input. I forgot one other hotel...The Claris!!! Any thoughts good or bad on that one? Also do you think these hotels are far enough away from all the craziness of La Merce'? At some point I may pick your brain about the food scene....as it seems this is right up your alley!!!

Thanks again!!

Cheers!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

Thanks for saying thanks! I like the location of the Claris the least. It's on the right side of l'Eixample, in an area without any serious eats. Further right or further up, there are good places again. The left side of l'Eixample (left of Passeig de Gracia) seems to be home to more restaurants, bakeries, shops and cafés. Rambla de Catalunya is a very nice street with some good hotels too. Have you looked at Hotel Murmuri?

Barcelona is very compact - a good city for walking with excellent transportation. And lots of things to see, do and eat. Similar in some ways to Baltimore's Inner Harbor! My favourite hotel there is the Pier 5.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

One other question.....do you know anything about Catalonia Square hotel? It is new and has good reviews, but wasn't sure about the location.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

POP! That's the sound of yet another new hotel popping up in Barcelona. :-)

I had a look at the hotel's TA page and there are 23 reviews - all excellent. A handful of them were submitted by real travelers (ie people who have more than 1 review and who seem to be really travelling and using the services reviewed). A lot of them were written by '1-review wonders' (ie people who tout or slam a business and never submit anything on TA again).

The hotel looks very nice and it's around the corner from Placa Catalunya. The street is not as pretty as Passeig de Gracia, of course. It's very convenient for getting to Barri Gotic for La Merce.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

So we continue to narrow our choices....we have one more in the mix. Any input on Hotel Granvia? We are also still considering Hotel Jazz.

Thanks!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

Hotel Granvia is a sister hotel of Hotel Jazz, so service and hotel quality should be good. The rooms facing the street (Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes) could be a bit noisy. Choose the ones facing the back.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

Thanks so much! Was wondering what you thought of location between the two? The Hotel Granvia seems more architecturally more interesting to us, but it seems like The Jazz might be better located? If you had to choose between the 2 would you have a preference?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

I agree that Hotel Granvia looks more interesting architecturally. The original bldg is older. Hotel Jazz is a modern bldg - not much going on architecturally. Just clean and functional design.

Hotel Jazz is a bit closer to La Rambla. Hotel Granvia is closer to Passeig de Gracia. Both are convenient for arrival and departure via the Aerobus. Hotel Jazz has a small pool and rooftop terrace. Hotel Granvia has a nice garden patio but no pool.

Are the hotel rates for your dates very different? Between the two, I would choose the Jazz only if I wanted to frequent the Mercat de la Boqueria. It's probably 10 min closer. Other than that, not much difference.

10. Re: Hotel in L'Eixample

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:16