We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Do I risk flying with Vueling?

My family will be visiting London for 3 weeks and decided to make a short trip from London to Santorini, afterwhich we will fly to San Sebastian, Spain. Vueling actually offer some great timings (direct off peak/ early morning flights to arrive at destination really early), and hence this will enable us to have more visiting time. I am not too worried about the flight from London to Santorini as we intend to fly Aegean airlines, which i understand is reasonably good and reliable. However, the route I am concerned about is the travel back from Santorini to San Sebastian.

I am starting to worry as I've heard so many bad and negative reviews from flight delays, cancellations to lost of luggages (even hand luggages if that is even possible!)

I've looked at other airlines such as Easyjet and Aegean but they are either way more expensive (double or triple Vueling) and have too many long connections.

My initial itenary was London - Santorini - San Sebastian - Barcelona - Seville - Madrid - Liverpool - London - back to Sydney.

We are only spending 3 nights in Santorini, is it worth the trouble? Is it worth taking the risk and flying with Vueling?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,948 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Hola kiweel,

I would fly Vueling over EasyJet any day. Last month, I flew them from Florence to Bcn and from Bcn to Venice. In the past, I've flown them to San Sebastián, Malaga, Seville etc. I've flown Aegean before too.

Vueling might be a little late but many carriers are. As for cancellations, I haven't had that experience with Vueling.

It's a good low-cost airline, owned by the same group that owns British Air and Iberia.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 05:32
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,281 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Have flown Vueling a number of times and no problems, Vueling is owned by British Airways and Iberia.

I have had problems with legacy airlines even Virgin and QANTAS; the other two Aussie airlines we avoid.

Note that Vueling fly Santorini to Bilbao, unless you are flying via Barcelona.

Bus Bilbao to San Sebastian www.pesa.net

sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Thanks for your thoughts Gigis_mum.

It is great to know of positive experiences with Vueling. The skytraWe were intending to use Vueling on 3 internal spain trips (including the one from Santorini which departs at 3am in the morning!)

The skytrax review of airlines website had very negative responses but hearing this is very reassuring.

sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Nurioopta, thanks for your reply.

Good to know about Vueling's ownership. It looks like Vueling is widely expanding its route, there's even a direct one from Santorini to San Sebastian, which we are looking to be on!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Hi @kiweel06, just to say +1 @belsaita... I also prefer Vueling over Easyjet.

@Nurioopta, I'd like to see Branson's face hearing that you claim that his very-British-for-God-and-Queen Virgin company is one of the 'the other two Aussie airlines we avoid', LOL!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

I have never flown Vueling but I would take a lot of the criticism you read with a pinch of salt. I am flying to Barcelona with Ryanair, an airline I use regularly and if I were to go by what I read on the internet about it would never set foot on it. The biggest problems with low cost airlines are the add ons and if you're not careful you can end up spending more than anticipated but if you know what you're doing and check everything carefully before payment they are a cheap and in my opinion, efficient way to travel.

Having said that, your itinerary is in my opinion very rushed. Ask yourself the question do you really want to spend 4 hours flying London to Santorini plus time spend at both airports and a 2 hour time difference for only 3 nights? I would be more concerned about that than the airline.

In my opinion it is not worth the trouble but it's your holiday.

Enjoy

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

I can only add that I have used Vueling more times I can remember without problems. I'm flying again with them on Friday... Fingers crossed ;-)

It's a more than OK low-cost airline (way better than other low-cost). Of course, you can hear horror stories from *any* airline.

As helers-8 above, I too would be more concerned about the use of your time than about which airlines to use. Anyway, it's your holiday. I have been to Santorini and liked it (especially it's less traveled parts) but it was part of a longer holiday in Greece, and to be honest it was not really the hightlight of that trip. But it's all about tastes and traveling styles.

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,948 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Hi again Kiweel,

You overshoot and double back with the London-Santorini segment. Instead, use Barcelona as your travel hub and visit Santorini from there.

Btw, re: my recent Florence-Barcelona-Venice trip, now I recall how that came to be.... A poster (like you) was worrying about flying Vueling between Barcelona and the Italian cities. After several failed attempts to convince them, I realized that I should do it myself, lol! I had a great time and my only complaint was that Vueling got me into Bcn too late to partake in a tasting menu at Caldeni. ;-)

If you choose Vueling, go for the Optima class or at the very least, pay online for checked-in bags. Make sure to check in online too.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

Gigis-mum, I can't see the logic about using Barcelona Are you suggesting the OP fly London - Barcelona - Santorini - San Sabastian - Seville - Madrid - Liverpool - London? That's even more backtracking.

Kiweel06, I would seriously rethink this. You have 3 weeks in London and during this time you want to take some days to visit 2 other countries and 5 cities, all of which deserve at least 2/3 days plus travel time How many days do you intend taking out of your London Trip?

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,948 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I risk flying with Vueling?

My mistake. I was thinking of round trip flights when the OP is meaning one way.