We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cyprus
Level Contributor
39 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

What are cheap and quick ways to go to Madrid from Barcelona for a one day trip? Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

2 possibilities: plane or train

if money is not an issue probably the quickest way is taxi from hotel to airport, plane, taxi from airport to center, and same back.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

Doing these daytrips often (for business), the faster way, door to door, is the AVE train. I use the plane only when I'm going somewhere near the airport. I did Madrid as daytrip for pleasure a few times too, visiting friends or going to see a special exhibition. Last time I did by plane because I was using frequent flyer miles... And I decided next time I will invest a little on my own using the train LOL!

Train may be not the cheapest option, but you get more of your day. You enjoy a pleasant ride instead of rushing around. And you will actually start sightseeing upon arrival at Atocha station (it's oldest part is well worth seeing) and you can walk from Atocha station to the 3 main museums, or a short metro ride to the very city centre.

Plane and train may have similar prices if you get a good deal buying in advance. If you leave it last moment, plane will probably be cheaper (for a good reason, people prefers the train ;-)

The cheaper option for traveling from Barcelona to Madrid is by bus (coach), but it takes 6-7 hours so not an option for a daytrip.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
39 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

Thank you! What round trip prices are we talking about? Money is quite an issue because we're 4 (adult) passengers

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

The bus is about 30€ pp. if you can get P fares on the AVE train, it could be as low as 32€ pp. Otherwise, look for the M fares for 4 people. More info on booking train tickets: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

5. Re: Best way to travel from Barcelona to Madrid for a 1day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 06:17