We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

I am not a frequent traveller, and this will be my 3rd time in UK/Europe in 3 years.

I've tried researching for information, but am not close to what I need.

Please tell me, or recommend, the best way to travel from Leeds to Barcelona.

Direct flights from Leeds? Or via a city from Leeds. Or if I were to take the train, which route would be best (ie., Leeds to London, then to Barcelona??).

Please, your comments/opinions is very much appreciated. TIA!

London, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

A train 100km+ journey is better than a 10km taxi journey? Going to Leeds you don't have to synch in train/plane times, you just hop on a bus or into a taxi.

I am very familiar with LBA, Steve, there are direct buses from Leeds centre, I can also inform you that there is independent parking right on the airport perimeter, not that it matters in this case. I think you are getting confused with the monopoly taxi service at the airport for arrivals.

A person in Leeds has a choice, an airport with daily flights to BCN 10km away, a short bus or taxi journey, or to decide to travel to an airport 100+km away. There would have to be a huge difference in price to make going to Manchester a sensible choice, for a person, in Leeds............a City with it's own airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

For the OP....

Public transport runs the whole time that Leeds airport is open, it takes 28 minutes from Leeds centre by bus and they run every 20 minutes. Cost is about £3 and the bus drops you 2 minutes walk from the terminal..

A taxi will cost around £20, more convenient but will not not save you much time

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
252 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

That's blatently not the case, there are flights that land after midnight when the bus has stopped running. I know, I've been caught out by a delayed flight meaning I missed the last bus, but other flights were still coming in on time..

FYI the Manchester Airport train to/from Leeds is between £9 and £11 each way when booked in advance, with a guaranteed seat.

I have nothing against Leeds Bradford, if it works out for the OP then definitely use it. But Manchester is perfectly viable too and in my opinion is more convenient.

London, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

Buses run up to midnight, Leeds Airport is not 24 hours, there are only single figure flights after that time, none of which serve Barcelona..............

Contrary to your information, excellent low cost public transport leaves from the centre of Leeds to the airport and serves the Barcelona flight times.

Manchester is viable, but for a person in Leeds (like the OP) it cannot be more convenient Steve, it is more than ten times the distance away and takes you 4 times the time to get there!

All the information is on the original LBA link that I posted earlier in the thread.

Edited: 10 May 2014, 08:29
VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

Absolutely correct Markkz. I can't imagine why anybody would want to trail all the way to Manchester when you have flights just a 20 minute taxi ride away. I have travelled from both airports (I live near Barcelona), and unless the flight is significantly cheaper I wouldn't even consider Manchester. Leeds Bradford has good cheap parking off site (not associated with the airport as previously said) and the public transport link to/from the airport are good from Leeds centre.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
252 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

The third-party parking must be new, the last couple of times I've considered flights from LBA none of the sites like HolidayExtras offered it, although I see it there now.

If LBA has raised its game in the last couple of years that's great.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,913 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

Manchester airport is ok, ruined by the fact that it is based near Manchester (spot the person from Liverpool...). Never used Leeds/Bradford but seems pretty easy to get to by bus or car.

For a change next month i'm using Stansted to get to Oslo, due to the very cheap flight and the fact i'm down south with work the three days before flying, which reminds me i don't think i've booked parking yet.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
254 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

I have flown to Barcelona from Leeds many times with Jet2 and without checking, sure they fly most days. There tends to be fewer delays from Leeds, it being a smaller airport and the home of Jet2. I have used Sentinel parking, they were excellent. I have also used the airport bus direct from Leeds bus station and was pleasantly surprised.

LBA isn't great for access to major road routes, that is its downfall

19. Re: From Leeds UK, best way to get to Barcelona??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17