We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A general question for Europe trip in December

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quezon City...
Level Contributor
208 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
A general question for Europe trip in December

Hi, I was going to ask my question in the Europe general forum but I guess there is none and so it will be per specific country. Anyway, I just want to ask most TA's advice as I know it will be very broad in opinion. I am planning to travel to Europe for the first time. I only have the Christmas and New years holiday as my long break so I have 2 weeks. I intially plan to do just London and Paris but my wife wants to do London and Barcelona since winter in northern Europe will be a bit gloomy for the pictures. My option is 1) Do a 4 day London, 4 day Paris, 4 day Barcelona using Eurorail to travel to those? 2) London and Barcelona 1 week each. I am just concerned that I am reading in the forum that Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 most city shuts down so what will I do on those specific days. Also, it seems that there are no flights going out from Barcelona to Asia directly. It seems that I have to transfer either in Frankfurt or Paris. Any advice on how to travel a better route? Just want to hear any advice or opinion from TA's peeps. Thanks in advance.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,480 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

I think splitting your time between the 3 London-Paris-Barcelona, is a good idea, fly open-jaw so that you maximise your time, and do not need to backtrack...

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

If you need to end up in Germany for your return flight, consider 31st December in Berlin. Unless you have a phobia about crowds the huge free party at the Brandenburg Gate is one of the finest places to be in the world to see in the New Year.

Italy
Level Contributor
5,282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

Answer seems obvious.

London.

Fly to Barcelona

Go to Paris (fly or train)

Fly home.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

arrive via Paris or London and depart from the other with a visit in the middle to Barcelona is the easier option.

from Barcelona Emirates flies to Asia with a stop in Dubai. Singapore airlines has a direct flight Singapore - Barcelona i think.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

Let's play travel agents today! :-)

PAL flies non stop Manila - London.

It might save time and money to fly into London, make your way to Paris (Eurostar is fun), fly to Barcelona and back to London by Vueling.

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
208 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

Thanks for all the replies, my initial question is how's Barcelona during Christmas week? Are the public transportation, sites and other tourist area going to be close during Dec. 25th? Also, taking the Vueling from Barcelona to London (Gatwick), Is this different from Heathrow I assume? Vueling is a budget airline, how is their schedule are they on time most of the time? From our experience in Philippines, budget airline really has a bad scheduling for their flights.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,238 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

Christmas is pretty quiet in Bcn, compared to other cities. Pandachris has already mentioned Berlin as being a good place to celebrate. Personally for Xmas atmosphere, I would like to go to Vienna.

Many sightseeing attractions will be closed on Christmas Day but there are a handful that will be open (Park Guell, Casa Batllo, Sagrada Familia). Some restaurants and shops may be closed for a few days. Maremagnum shopping centre is open daily.

Vueling is a low cost airline but it is very reliable, as far as low cost airlines go. Arrival was about 20 min late on my 2 recent flights but that can happen with even the flag carriers. Just make sure to read the terms and conditions of purchase, get the Optima fare (includes 1 piece checked -in luggage, seat assignment) and check-in online to avoid long lines at the airport.

Transfer between Gatwick and Heathrow: londontown.com/London/Between_Gatwick_and_He…

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

Christmas and New Year in Barcelona are a bit low key. In Spain children get presents on the 6th January and many of the Christmas traditions are very local and Spanish - the three kings as opposed to Santa Claus, Caga Tio, Pessebres nativity scenes and not really Christmas trees, snow and tinsel like you might find in more northern countries. London and Paris would be good. I could imagine Berlin too, but personally I'd try to find somewhere with some snow (eg near the Alps) for a really magical Christmas - Vienna sounded good.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
98 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

4 days in each is quite enough if you prepare things in advance and thoroughly. I suggest you go on a daytrip to Versailles from Paris.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A general question for Europe trip in December

I love London but for New Year Berlin is far, far better. I am told Rome is very good too, though I haven't been, should you prefer somewhere with slightly warmer weather.