We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets in Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Pickpockets in Barcelona

I am going to Barcelona in a few weeks and I have read the sticky post on safety and the other forums on pickpocketing and theft in Barcelona.

Some of these postings make it sound as if I would be lucky to come back from Barcelona without being pickpocketed or having my phone stolen. I know that pickpocketing is an issue but is it as bad and frequent as some of the posts seem to say.

Thanks for your help

Edited: 12 May 2014, 00:48
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Pickpockets in Barcelona

hey,

have been to Barcelona twice in the last few years..On our 2nd visit we went with another couple..

On one particilar night we got out of a taxi near a bar..We were all after few drinks having a good time..few local lads came towards us started hi 5 the lads and gave a hug pretending to be having a little banter with my boyfriend and he friend... the friend noticed straight away he wallet was gone and tried chased the locals...My boyfriend iphone was taking that was in jeans pocket...

This is goes on all the time..So be very careful, we were just unlucky....Didnt stop us going into bar for few drinks.

NY
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Pickpockets in Barcelona

All your posts have been very helpful. I do understand that most people will go to Barcelona and not have issues but it's definitely clear that the rate of petty crime is high compared to other large cities. It's disappointing that a tourist would have to be on guard consistently against being pick pocketed.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 03:14
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Pickpockets in Barcelona

You do not have to be "on guard", you have to learn how to carry your stuff in a way that's difficult to grab and run, and learn the most common scams so you do not fall for these. And this works for Barcelona, Paris, Rome and everywhere else. Even for NY: …about.com/od/…is_nyc_safe.htm

I'm linking that article as it gives good advice applicable to anywhere, change NYC for Barcelona and it's 95% applicable... The 5% differnt will be that, different from NYC, in Barcelona streets are rarely desolated at nigh, at least until wee hours.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,683 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Pickpockets in Barcelona

Here we go again,loads of threads about this,Barcelona is safe,It is no better or worse than any other big city in Europe,just basic common sense is needed,Safe guard your self and your belongings,wear an over shoulder bag across you make sure facing front a zip is safer as harder to open,keep it closed all the time,only carry what you need for that day in it,keep all other valuables in hotel safe,look out for large groups dont walk through them walk around them,if any one approaches you for help ie map walk away because one will show you map other will pick you pockets etc,if using metro wait till last to get off as this is another way they do it,when your pushing through crowd to get off they pick your pockets,when sat in cafe etc keep your bag in same place do not put on or under table,keep it shut,just basic common sense,and this is not just for Barcelona its for any large city in Europe including the UK,

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Pickpockets in Barcelona

Ditto!

26. Re: Pickpockets in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 08:17