We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

I am planning my trip for my visit to Barcelona in less than two weeks. I want to buy tickets for Park Guel in advance and wonder if there is any difference in the experience whether I see it in the morning or afternoon. I suspect going as early as possible in the morning will avoid crowds, but I wonder if there is anything missed by going early (photography lighting, available services, Gaudi Museum, etc). Also, it looks like our day to visit will be Sunday although if I get feedback that afternoon is best and weekend crowds are a problem, we might be able to go Monday afternoon. Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

Check my answer here: tripadvisor.com/…57753958 look for FRIDAY in the text

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

Afternoon is only best if you like to fry eggs in the heat of the scorching sun. Late, late afternoon is okay but ground temperature is still warmer than in the morning.

I'm not a fancy photographer by any means but I think there are so many angles and shapes at Park Guell that each area has its best times of the day. Unless you plan to stay all day and figure out how the sun strikes each spot, the best time for photography is simply - when it's not too crowded.

Another approach is to look at pictures of Park Guell and analyze how you would take the picture...

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

Wow, will it be that hot in two weeks? I thought Barcelona had a mild Mediterranean climate ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the tips (and the VERY detailed advice you linked to Enric) . SO that settles it. It will be Sunday morning. I see it opens very early so that will be my plan if I can talk my daughter into it!

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

This Tues, the forecast is 63-81° F with humidity at 79%. Meanwhile, in SF, it's...57-86°F with humidity at 33%. 86°F seems really warm for SF too.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,199 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

@travlinstan

Enjoy then :)

One further tip, nothing to do with your question though: next Saturday night is the Night of the Museums across many cities in the world, including Barcelona: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

san francisco, ca
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

Thanks for your tip about night at the museum, but I will miss it by one week. Too bad! I would have taken advantage of it I was there. And gigis_mum, yes 86F in SF is very hot, especially for this time of year. However, I would only call temps above 100F to be 'egg frying' temps ;-)

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

I agree with you that 100 is more like egg frying temp. The first time I visited was in late June and maybe that year was particularly hot. I still remember the shimmering heat rising from the dirt floor of the Greek marketplace.

Hot weather seems to follow me wherever I go. If SF is currently in the 80s, I wonder what it'll be when I arrive in July....

Have a good visit to Barcelona!

Edited: 13 May 2014, 05:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

We were at Parc Guell just last week. We booked 10:30 am entry, but managed to get in at 9am. Thank goodness, if you are planning on taking pics, then book as early as possible. Large tour groups, crowd areas and you can wait forever to get that certain pic.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

We visited late afternoon (two weeks ago). There were quite some schoolgroups in Park Güell and the monumental area was crowded but not in such a way that it was impossible to take pictures. I prefer the late afternoon light for nice pictures.

10. Re: Park Guel - Morning or Afternoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:16