We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
261 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

Enric suggested my husband and I stop in Girona after visiting the Dali museum in Figueres. This will be on a Sunday in July. I'm wondering how to accomplish this and what the timing would be. I know I need to take the regional rail to Figueres. Do I buy a round trip ticket from Barcelona that includes a stop in Girona? Can anyone suggest what time to leave Barcelona to be able to get all this done in one day? Additionally when I try to purchase Dali Museum tickets the only available times for 6 July seem to be 11:00 h - 18:00 h . Anyone know why there are no early morning access times for that date or am I doing something wrong on their site? Thanks in advance.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 00:23
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

As far as I remember, you need to take a train BCN-FIG then on the way back a FIG-GIR and once in Girona a GIR-BCN. I'm afraid there's only direct tickets -no hop on hop off.

As per going to Figueres in the morning, notice that Figueres has two stations: Figueres (in the middle of the town, where Regionals and MDs arrive from Barcelona) and Figueres Vilafant (to the west at the edge of the town, where the fast trains AVE and AVANT stop). Check Google Maps here: http://bit.ly/1sCyCDI to the right Figueres (centre) to the left Figueres-Vilafant, and Dalí Museum is roughly in the middle.

I believe you want to take fast trains since on July 6th -being a Sunday, not a working day- there are very few slow trains (MDs and Regionals). In fact departing from Barcelona there's only one MD train arriving in Figueres at 13:36 --too late for you-- while the first AVANT in the morning reaches Figueres-Vilafant at 10:15. From there, you can walk to the museum (or take a cab): http://bit.ly/S1vu9i

Don't worry about buying the returning tickets on the spot, for the short hop Figueres Vilafant-Girona (15' on a fast train) there are several during the day (check www.renfe.es inserting Figueres Vilafant to Girona). And the same from Girona to Barcelona. Don't worry either about availability, on Sunday you're not bound to have much trouble. Tip: Should you want to take the AVE, the fare 4M (cheaper) it's fine for your needs. Your last AVANT from Girona is at 10pm and it barely takes 40' to Barcelona. You need to be at the track 10 or 15' before the departure of the fast train so keep that in mind and give yourself time to purchase the ticket at the booth, find the right track, etc. Figueres Vilafant is a small station, Girona is slightly bigger (if I'm not mistaken has 4 tracks).

Enjoy!

Edited: 17 May 2014, 03:12
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

Hola kpgclark,

Here's a feasible itin for Sunday, July 6:

1a) Barcelona Sants - Figueres Vilafant, AVE 9:45-10:40, P=Promotion Fare 19.35 euros

1b) Barcelona Sants - Figueres Vilafant, AVANT same, regular fare 20.60 euros

10 min taxi ride from Figueres Vilafant to Dali Museum (there's a bus too but for 2 people, the taxi will be faster and only a little more money)

2) Figueres - Girona, RG1 or R11 trains run frequently and take 40 min

http://www20.gencat/portal/site/rodalies

3) Girona - Barcelona Sants, AVANT at approx 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 pm for 15.90 euros

(both 7 pm AVE and AVANT trains are not available at this moment. don't know why)

Re: the Dali online tickets, I had a look and you are doing everything right. It's their 'sales logic'. :-) They figure that before 11 am, it won't be crowded so there's no need to sell tickets in advance. As you can see from the train schedule I gave you, you'll arrive at around 11 am too.

A few years ago, I had a local friend call up and discuss their weird online ticketing with them. Tried to convince them to offer online ticketing in the month of June. They said it wasn't necessary so I went up there without tickets in hand, expecting to stand in line. There was no line.

ha ha, Enric and I are often on the same wavelength if not the same time zone!

Edited: 17 May 2014, 03:21
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

Ahhhgggg, I'm so pissed off with the RENFE website, the train operator,... bunch of incompetents is what they are! Their site is always a mess and info is not always updated or correct.

@kpgclark, as I was mentioning before there are fewer slow trains on Sundays (MD's and regionals) but NOT that few it seems. After having posted my answer I double-checked in a separate website (the Catalan government's site for short distance trains) and indeed there are more than one MD on that Sunday! Actually, if you check Gigis_mum URL -the one pointing to the government site- you'll see a list of slow trains from Barcelona to Figueres in the morning, and you can see there's a slow MD train departing Barcelona at 7:46 and arriving at 9:36 in Figueres (centre). An MD is 40% cheaper than a fast train, but it takes an hour more to reach the destination.

Also to mention that point 2) of Gigi's advice might also be better as Figueres-Girona by slow train is 40' (fast train = 15') but's also much cheaper.

Notice I've checked a Sunday but in June because I don't know why the Sundays in July don't yield any result... probably because it's still two months ahead?. In any case I'd say it's very very likely the schedules will be practically the same than in June.

Hi GG! :)

Philly
Level Contributor
261 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

Wow thank you both for taking so much time out of your day to help me. I truly appreciate it. You must love Barcelona very much to spend so much time helping others get the most out of their vacations there. I can't thank you enough for your assistance.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

The one benefit of using the slow train is that you don't need to go to Sants station. I took the slow train from the Passieg de Gracia station since a I was staying only 2 blocks away.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

@kpgclark... not at all... it's a pleasure. And thanks for saying thanks.

@F1racegirl: that's true, it's more convenient... hear that @kpgclark?, you are also at two blocks from Passeig de Gràcia station.

Houston
Level Contributor
20 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

Since the OP has already gone on this trip and my question is related to this topic, I'm going out on a limb to hijack this thread in hope the Barcelona experts that have been helpful here could answer my question. If I purchased AVE/AVANT from Barcelona Sant to Figueres Vilafant with a return, would my return ticket back to Barcelona valid for getting on in Girona instead of from Figueres Vilafant? I see that it is the same train # -- for example AVANT34222 departs Figueres Vilafant at 20:45 and departs Girona at 21:01, arriving in Barcelona at 21:40. Here's why I'm asking this: I'm thinking of spending the morning in Figueres for sure. Then I want an option in the early afternoon to perhaps going to spend in Girona by buying a one way ticket on MD (or AVE/AVANT if schedule is more convenient) to go to Girona. In that case, then instead of having to return to Figueres to catch the 20:45 AVANT34222 back to Barcelona, I would catch it at 21:01 in Girona using my original return ticket, saving me time and money from having to buy a ticket on MD from Girona back to Figueres.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

I believe you can -but I am not 100% certain, sorry. But in any case we'd be talking about the same exact train.

9. Re: How do I manage a trip to Figueres with a stop in Girona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2016, 07:16