We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, parts closed?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philly
Level Contributor
261 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, parts closed?

I noticed on some reviews of Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya that a large section is closed. Some reviewers said that had they known they would not have visited. What are your thoughts about this? I understand these sections will be closed throughout the summer. Also is this a museum that you need to purchase tickets ahead of time? We plan on going on Friday 4 July. Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, parts closed?

Hola kpgclark. Some sections have been closed over the years for restoration works, not knowing the date of these reviews or more details, they mean nothing. Parts of the museum are not usually closed during summer (why? Closing on peak touristy times?), if closed must be for another reason.

I have not been there for a while except than for temporary exhibitions, so I did not care about the permanent collection being open or close. I can't see any warnings in their website. In any case, unless you are going there just to see a determinate section or artwork and precisely that section was closed, there is so much else that IMHO it will be worth anyway. For the general collection there's no need to buy in advance.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, parts closed?

The modern sections (19th and 20th centuries) are closed but the high spots of MNAC are the medieval sections so don't NOT go because of closures. In fact MNAC is so huge it's too much to do in one visit when it's all on view.

I read about this in the newsletter they send to Amics; it's very strange the website says notthing. It's to do with rehanging to improve the presentation). " A partir del martes 1 de abril y hasta otoño, la Col•lección de los siglos XIX y XX estará cerrada al público. El motivo del cierre son los trabajos de remodelación que se van a realizar, con el objetivo de mejorar la actual presentación de las obras".

It does say that a selection of pieces will be on show in the summer but no dates given (Durante el verano habrá expuesta una selección de piezas de este período a la sala de exposiciones temporales)

You might like to look at the Sorolla exhibition which opens in Caixaforum on 13th June, as a complement or as an alternative (same area) agendacentrosobrasociallacaixa.es/es/caixafo…

Edited: 19 May 2014, 16:18
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, parts closed?

The special exhibition with highlights from the "modern" section opens on 14th June.

Do go up onto the roof, it's just been opened for visits and the views are impressive , incl. out onto the stadium at the back. It's free if you have a ticket for the museum

Edited: 24 May 2014, 21:42
4. Re: Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, parts closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 06:18