We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Barcelona, Spain

New Delhi, India
12 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Barcelona, Spain

I will be visiting Barcelona, Spain in the first week of June. This is going to be my first time there. I am going to be travelling with my mother. What are the best places that I definitely should see? I am going to be there for 4 days. Also, my mother is a vegetarian, will it be a problem for her to find decent food?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

You and your mother will have a great time in barcelona...its not too hot yet and not too many tourists. Some of the places you should definitely see is Sagrada Familia, the mercat on Las Ramblas (called Boqueria), as well as Parc Ciutadella, Montjuic and the magic fountain, as well as Tibidabo and of course the beaches of barcelona. As far as food is concerned, it might be difficult because Spain is predominantly meat-eating country. However there are very good options for vegetarians that you can find here: justlandedbcn.com/things-to-do-barcelona/…

Also there are quite a few indian restaurants whom also serve many vegetarian dishes : justlandedbcn.com/things-to-do-barcelona/…

best of luck and enjoy your trip!

New Delhi, India
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to the trip. Also, which are the best places to shop?

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
462 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

The Gothic Quarter and Old Town are great for shopping. Both boutiques and chain stores.

New Delhi, India
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

Thank you :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

Shopping for what exactly? And in what price-range?

If clothes, Passeig de Gracia is the prestige address for big name (expensive brands), the less expensive chains tend to be at the very bottom of Passeig de Gracia and on Portal del Angel and Pelai .Lots of shoe shops on those last two streets too.

Look through forum serach, for previous threads about vegetarian food, with lots of suggestions. It's true that few Spaniards are vegetarians but they are not just meat-eaters, they eat far more fish and shellfish than is the norm for Europe.

New Delhi, India
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

Shopping for souvenirs basically. Nothing too expensive. I will search for the vegetarian food in the previous threads.

Thanks for your reply.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,130 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

Gothic quater and old town for shopping,regarding food,most restraints cater for vegetarians,and have menus and prices outside so you'll be able to choose to your budget

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

This place ... https://sites.google.com/site/catbarcat/ is exclusively vegetarian. I haven't eaten there (yet) but the food delivered whilst we were having a drink there looked very nice.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,653 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

A word of caution when looking at menus in an ordinary (non-vegetarian) restaurant: some dishes may sound suitable for a vegetarian but in fact be flavoured with ham, chorizo etc. This is particularly true of the first courses using pulses and vegetables. Spaniards normally use the word carne (meat) only for pork, veal and red meat, ham is not usually called meat nor is chicken and other poultry (ave)

You'll find nice souvenirs in the museum gift shops and the shops at Gaudí sights. The Ramblas souvenir shops have very kitschy stuff, often totally unrelated to Catalonia. Mexican hats are the worst but flamenco dolls are from Andalucia, at the other end of the country.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,717 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Barcelona, Spain

So I should stop wearing my sombrero when in town. I feel such a fool.