We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Philly
Level Contributor
343 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

I'm still trying to get our itinerary done. Hoping to get some help putting the items at the bottom where they belong and also looking for suggestions on things to see that I may have missed. Also if there are things that make more sense to see on other days let me know. Where I've listed times I have already made reservations.

Sunday 29 June, arrive 8:45 staying at Alexandra Barcelona (Calle Mallorca 251). For remainder of the day wander local area. Perhaps see La Pedrera, Manzana de la Discordia, Casa Batillo (do I need tickets ahead of time for any of these??), Las Ramblas, maybe Mercat de la Boqueria today or Tuesday when we visit Gothic area

Monday 30 June 9am reservation at Park Guell, 10:30 reservation Gaudie House Museum, 15:00 reservation Sagrada Familia, 16:15 Nativity tower

Tuesday 1 July Day in Gothic area, Barcelona Cathedral before noon is free, 13:00 reservation at Picasso Museum, Vivaldi Concert at 21:00 at Palau de la Musica

Wednesday 2 July Montjuic, National Museum of Art, see Spanish Village at 16:00 prior to the 19:00 Tablao Carmen show/tapas. After show see Magic Fountain which I know won't have a show that night but the only night I could reserve at Tablao Carmen was tonight.

Thursday 3 July Montserrat Does anyone have an idea of when we might get back to Barcelona if we leave by train somewhere between 8:00 and 9:00?

Friday 4 July Beach day. Not sure which beach. May just stroll around.

Saturday 5 July not sure

Things I don't know where to put in: St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral, Palacio Guell, Cathedral of Santa Eulalia. What have I missed???

Basilica of the Sagrada Familia
Churches & Cathedrals, Architectural Buildings
Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Barcelona Cathedral
Churches & Cathedrals
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Hola kpgclark,

Your new itinerary looks good. One question before I make other comments. Re: Montserrat, do you plan to take 1) the cremallera (rack railway) or 2) the Aeri cable car? The TransMontserrat (or TotMontserrat) tickets are the best deals and cheaper than buying tickets separately. However, you have to specify 1) or 2) and use the same method for there and back. If you want to try both, get the combination ticket, specify 1) and add 1 single ticket for 2).

CREMALLERA: The FGC R5 train from FGC Placa Espanya connects with the cremallera at Monistrol de Montserrat station. Trains that connect are 7:36 (arrives 8:41), 8:16 (arrives 9:21), 8:36 (arrives 9:41), 9:36 (arrives 10:41). On July 3, the cremallera runs at 8:48, 9:48, 10:48 etc. If you take the 7:36 FGC train, you'll catch the 8:48 cremallera and be at the top by 9:08. If you take the 8:16 FGC train, you'll wait for the 9:48 cremallera and be at the top at 10:08. Likewise, the 9:36 FGC train delivers you up at 11:08.

How to get there cremallerademontserrat.cat/website_cremaller…

Timetable Search cremallerademontserrat.cat/website_cremaller…

AERI CABLE CAR: The FGC R5 train from FGC Placa Espanya connects with the Aeri Cable Car at Montserrat-Aeri station. 8:16 (arrives 9:17), 8:36 (arrives 9:37), 9:36 (arrives 10:37). The Aeri Cable Car starts running later than the Cremallera. Its hours of operation are 9:40-14:00 (35 min break) 14:35-19:00.

http://www.aeridemontserrat.com/horarios.php

If you choose the Aeri Cable Car, there's no point in taking the 8:16 FGC train. You'll have to wait until 9:40 for the Aeri Cable Car to start running.

If you want to leave between 14:00 and 14:35, you'll have to wait.

Now that you understand all that......do you plan to take the Funicular up to the mountain path above the Abbey? Do you want to hear the Escolania at the 13:00 mass? If you're doing any of this, then you'll stay a bit later.

You can use this website to check train times BACK to Barcelona. Make sure that you're on a train that is going all the way back (and not stopping halfway).

http://www.fgc.cat/eng/cercador.asp

Line: Llobregat-Anoia

Origin: Monistrol de Montserrat (for cremallera connection) / Montserrat-Aeri (for Aeri cable car)

Destination: Pl. Espanya

Departure time & Date

Philly
Level Contributor
343 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks for the info Gigis_mum. I will look over all the Montserrat information and get back with you. There is a lot to think about! Whatever we select can we purchase the tickets the day we leave? I think I remember someone saying we could do that.

I look forward to your comments on the rest.

Kathy

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Sorry for the overkill on the subject of Montserrat. Some travelers don't really care and just want to be told some estimate of time. In your case, you exhibit a more intellectual approach to travel. I thought you would like to have all the data before you decide. :-)

When we went to Montserrat, we took the earliest train that connected to the cremallera, the 7:36 train. That combo delivered us to the mountain by 9:08. We were staying at the B Hotel, across from Placa Espanya, so it was pretty easy to get my teenager out of bed and onto the train. The good thing about early arrival is that no one else is there. We were the only 2 people inside the church - we had to look for the staircase up to the alcover of La Moreneta. Normally the line snakes along the wall - you can't miss it. Since no one was there, we could spend all the time we wanted, paying our respects and admiring the craftmanship.

https://tinyurl.com/pckmxxj

Barcelona Cathedral is the common name for Santa Eulalia. It's also referred to as La Seu. So you have it on your itinerary already. tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187497-d19… I wonder if you mean the Basilica of La Merce? tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187497-d59…

Santa Maria del Mar church is close to the Picasso Museum. After the Picasso Museum, get some Basque pintxos at Euskal Etxea or head over to the Santa Maria del Mar area. There are lots of nice cafes near there, like La Vinya del Senyor. For pastries, check out Bubo.

The Boqueria is closed on Sundays. The best time to visit is in the morning, around 9, for breakfast at one of the bars. I like to eat there, then walk down the street to Palau Guell. They open at 10. (Palau Guell is the Catalan name for Palacio Guell).

Edited: 22 May 2014, 14:26
Philly
Level Contributor
343 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks again for your help!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary

Not much to add to GG's post... simply:

1.) It's worth doing the cable car to ascend to the monastery instead of the rack train. Why?...: http://bit.ly/SpgPFa

2.) I also like it better very early in the morning, not only there's less people but you can also be lucky enough to see this from the monastery: http://bit.ly/1jbvzNp

3.) Take the opportunity also to take the funiculars to the caves and the trails to do some trekking and admire views like this: http://bit.ly/1jIbFzm

re:your last question @kpgclark, yes you can purchase the tickets on the day of departure at the station, in Plaça Espanya.

Last bit of info:

The nickname "La Seu" (lah-seh-oo) for the Cathedral of Saint Eulàlia is due to the shortening of the denomination "Seu episcopal" -or headoffice of the diocese, or the bishopric, in English. In Catalan 'seu' means 'headquarters' or 'main site' and it's applicable to all sorts of organisations, not only religious ones. For example, we say 'la seu dels Jocs Olímpics' (roughly 'the place where the Olympic Games are celebrated')

The elevated site occupied by the cathedral has always been the spiritual center of Barcelona. First there was a Roman temple here, then a mosque, and then a church. Construction on the present cathedral began in 1298 under King Jaume II and was completed in 1448. The west facade dates from the 19th century.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 00:17
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary

Moltes gràcies, Enric, for the background on La Seu! And for the beautiful pictures.

Edited: 23 May 2014, 05:11
Philly
Level Contributor
343 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary

Enric and Gigis_mum I do very much appreciate your suggestions and comments. I can not express fully how much your responses to my posts and to others help in planning our trip. The fact that you take the time to provide such full answers is fantastic and will surely make my trip even more enjoyable. So again thank you very much!

I forgot to post that I not only have Saturday 5 July free but also Sunday 6 July because we leave on Monday. If you have any ideas as to what we should do those days let me know.

Kathy

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary

Not to mention, none of you both, it's a pleasure!

Saturday morning: VIC : http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/17/vic/

Saturday afternoon: infocatalonia.eu/w/… -northern districts of the city

Sunday all day: GIRONA : http://www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/11/30/ben/ or TARRAGONA : infocatalonia.eu/w/…

Saturday is a good day to escape the centre of the city!

Philly
Level Contributor
343 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary

Thanks again Enric! I forgot we are going one day to the Dali museum. I forgot to put that on my itinerary. I don't know if we will go Saturday or Sunday.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with itinerary

A lot of people combines a visit to Girona and Figueres since they're in the same train line and not that far from each other, but I already told you this, didn't I?.... :))))

tripadvisor.com/…58327484