We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhood choice

Level Contributor
462 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Neighborhood choice

Guys

I'm planning to stay for 9 days and hoping someone can help me choose a neighborhood. We will be looking for a service apartment (not hotel and they exist in each and every neighborhood). These are my likes in priority order

- close to open-air markets for fruits and vegetable shopping since we will be cooking

- not too hilly or too many steps everywhere as one person has bad knees

- decently accessible to transport to other places of barcelona

- street-side cafes where you can sip a cafe and do some people-watching

It seems Gracia is Montmartre-like; do most people stay on the hills or at the bottom of the hills? It also seems to have a sizeable market. Also, something that resembles the east village atmosphere in new york would be nice too

Thx

Edited: 23 May 2014, 00:24
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhood choice

Hi world_traveler0888

All neighbourhoods in Barcelona comply with your requirements, except for very fringe areas in the outskirts of the city, in fact we don't have residential-only areas per se. Wherever you live there's going to be at least a traditional food market (albeit not open-air): infocatalonia.eu/w/… , decent access to buses and metro and street-side cafes not too far from your home.

Having said that, taking into account your second requirement and noting you're visiting just for a few days, I'd suggest l'Eixample or Barri Gòtic and neighbouring areas -which includes the famous El Born.

Since this question gets asked a lot... this is my sort of standard response ;)

For a visual response to your question: http://oi44.tinypic.com/20r5nd3.jpg Note that the red zones don't mean "no stay", they just mean (to me) that are not convenient for a short stay in the city, either too far or too rowdy or a bit seedy, but by all means one has to visit them as all have their own charm. Keep in mind though that this is a very personal response, other members will surely recommend different things and probably equally good (or better!)

In all, you perhaps might want to have a look at El Born. Just for info I include links to three videos showing the areas of l'Eixample, Gràcia and El Born -as per the above map- so you can have a glimpse on what they look like:

L'EIXAMPLE: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

EL BORN: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/01/el-born/

GRÀCIA: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

L'Eixample is classy and elegant, a large district with wide streets and avenues

El Born is historical with little streets and alleys, may get a bit rowdy at times

Gràcia is like a homy little town within the city with a life of its own, slightly farther (15' by metro) but worth considering.

Europe
Level Contributor
5,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhood choice

... and to add, on Gràcia: when people say it's "Montmartre-like", they don't mean it's situated on a hill. :-)

(I assume they refer to the atmosphere. But personally I think there is no comparison. For starters, Montmartre is swamped with tourist. Luckily enough, this is not the case here in Gràcia...)

Level Contributor
462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhood choice

Enric

Are the neighborhoods in green the best to stay in and the most central?

Also, do most train stations have escalators? I have someone in my party that cannot climb more than few steps so if it's anything like NYC-type subway where you have to climb yourself out of the underground, it's undoable

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,249 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhood choice

most of the metro stations have lifts (probably just in one of the acces, so check for the signal), there are just 20 stations in all the system that have not, and in those cases there are escalators going up (usually not going down).

Bus network is efficient and completely adapted, so it is an option too.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhood choice

Hi word_traveller0888

1.) yes, but note it's very subjective not that the red zones are no-stay, it's simply that for "ME" the green zones are better and combine both being central and less rowdy.

2.) Adding to slatkin_10, check this updated map of the network: mapametrobarcelona.net/mapas-metro/mapa-metr… Please consider this an unofficial map, it's obviously not sanctioned by the Transport Authority :))

6. Re: Neighborhood choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 05:16