We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cherry Hill, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Barcelona

We are taking Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona last week of June . On our return we have almost three days ( Cruise return 5 am on Sunday and we are flying back on Wednesday morning around 10 am )

We are total of 5 ( Myself , my wife and three kids ages 13, 10 and 7 years) . This is our first trip to that part of the word. Need help in deciding whether we should stay in Barcelona for three days or go to Seville , Cordoba etc . I am not sure if we have enough time . Would appreciate recommendations for hotel or apartment and also areas where we should look for .

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,095 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Barcelona

Hola Hummy,

End of June can be quite hot in Seville and Cordoba. If weather is not a problem for you, I suggest you look at the Things To Do section of each forum OR the photos taken by previous visitors. These will give you an idea what you'll see in each city. My son was 10 yo the first time he visited Spain and he loved it.

Things To Do:

Barcelona : tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g187497-Activitie…

Seville: tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g187443-Activitie…

Cordoba: tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g187430-Activitie…

Granada: tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g187441-Activitie…

Barcelona Photos: tripadvisor.ca/LocationPhotos-g187497-Barcel…

Seville Photos: tripadvisor.ca/LocationPhotos-g187443-Sevill…

(you can do the rest)

Just keep in mind that you should return to Barcelona by Tuesday night. Of course, you could return on Wed morning but if anything goes wrong with the train/plane, you'll miss your int'l flight home. I added Granada because imho, it's more significant than Cordoba (sorry Cordoba friends!).

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Barcelona

Hummy:

I think you do not have enough time to visit Andalusia. Save it for another trip. Just stay in Barcelona because there is so much to see in this city.

Cherry Hill, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Barcelona

We could do that . If we stay in Barcelona for rest of the trip what part of the city we should stay . Since we will not have car and will be using public transport . Would apartment be a better option than a hotel .

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Barcelona

I agree that you should stay in Barcelona. Travelling fron Barcelona to Seville would take up almost a day in your time frame. There are lots of interesting things to do in Barcelona and it is on the ocean. If your children like the beach, then Barcelona has it all. There are museums, churches, Park Guell and Montujuic and then the beach. It is only about a 20 minute walk from Las Ramblas to the beach in Barcelona. We were in Barcelona in April and we stayed in the Eixample area of town. It is very beautiful, safe, lots of shopping and restaurants. If I was travelling with children, I would prefer the Eixample area.

Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Barcelona

I too prefer the Eixample, but there's a reasonably priced hotel about 50 meters from the Ramblas that's I really like:

http://www.hotelcondal.es/en/

The street is called La Boqueria, so, as you might expect, it's very close to the Boqueria (a market you absolutely have to check out). And the Ramblas is the center of activity in Barcelona and goes down to the port.

My favorite place in Barcelona is Casa Batllo, which is on the Passeig de Gracia (Metro exit: Passeig de Gracia). You get an audio guide, & you get to see virtually every room in this unique building. I've never done the bus top tour there, because I'm there a month every summer, but if I had only 3 days, I'd definitely do it.

I'm not positive about Sunday evenings, because we haven't been in a couple of years, but there should be a Magic Fountain show around 9pm that evening at Montjuic (Metro: Plaza Espana). The fountains "dance" to the accompaniment of lights & music. People of all ages always love that.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,597 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Barcelona

Don't worry about not having a car. Living in, working in and visiting Barcelona (and the metropolitan area around it) is perfectly possible without one. There are train, metro and buses lines all over the city. And you can always take one of the thousands of (reasonably cheap) taxis if you really don't feel like taking the metro.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 06:39
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,095 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Barcelona

The Magic Fountain runs from Thurs to Sun, 9-11 pm, in the warm weather months. Winter schedule is shorter.

Cherry Hill, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Barcelona

Thanks for great suggestions . I havenow few options to work on .

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Barcelona

There are two castellers events on Sunday 29th June at 12 midday. You will have plenty of time to get along to see one of these and the children will probably be fascinated. For a beginner, although the one on Passeig Sant Joan has the strongest teams and therefore the tallest towers, the one on Passeig del Born can be combined with a visit to the Born Cultural Centre and so might be the most easily accessible. Definitely consider including this in your plans - free, as is entrance to the BCC.

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Barcelona

Pandachris: How do you know when and where the castellers events are? Is there a particular website with this info? We are going to be there for La Merce', and I really do want to see the best of these exhibitions. You always seem to have an inside track to what's going on!!