We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated Luggage Locker Question/ Safety

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Updated Luggage Locker Question/ Safety

I have read the posted luggage hold questions, but the newest one seems to be over a year old and a replier mentions that some of the businesses may be closing. So, here are my questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We are staying in an apartment in Barri Gotic, but are arriving at 9:30am and cannot access the apartment until 4:00pm. Are the NORD lockers the closest? Do they get broken into (thieves)? Is that the only option for storing luggage in that area?

Also, I live in New Orleans, which many consider to be incredibly dangerous, and as a local, I know how to be safe and I can go nearly anywhere without feeling threatened so long as I am aware of my surroundings. Is this the same case with Barcelona. One friend, who has been there, said that I should be fine, because I know how to deal with my city. Another said- forget that- they (the thieves) are brazen and will cut your bag open while it's on your back. Is it a matter of 'don't be naive and you'll be fine', or is it much worse?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated Luggage Locker Question/ Safety

Nord?... once more, please don't shorten names or else make no sense whatsoever!.... Estació del Nord.

It depends on what part of El Barri Gòtic you're based on, if you're near Plaça Catalunya, there's a company in carrer Estruc, 36 (http://www.lockerbarcelona.com/en/). If that's not convenient for you, then indeed Estació del Nord (https:/…) has locker services too. As per thieves... I can't say sorry, only know that one of the main police stations is literally next door from the station :)

It was many years ago I visited New Orleans so perhaps things have changed for the better (or the worse), but I did not feel particularly intimidated, maybe because I was going with some local friends, maybe because I was younger (and probably more naive) or maybe because I didn't spend too long -unfortunately we had to continue our route somewhere else. But I loved the city anyway!

In any case, what I know these days about N.O. is via media therefore it can be biased, but if it's half of what they portray I wouldn't worry too much visiting Barcelona. Note that we do indeed have a problem with pickpockets, especially in crowded areas, but this is an opportunistic type of crime, not confrontational, which means if you were to be robbed you'll notice later on, when you miss your whatever (phone, wallet...). Not that it helps -it ruins your day anyway- but at least you don't have to fear

Edited: 28 May 2014, 17:07
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated Luggage Locker Question/ Safety

a physical attack. Not that you can't be mugged, after all this is also a big city, but our crime tends to be much less violent (no guns for example).

(Sorry, I pressed <enter> too soon!)

3. Re: Updated Luggage Locker Question/ Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 06:17