We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

HI everyone,

Can someone who lives in Barcelona tell me the extent of craziness resulting in the protests about can vie? We are going to be in Barcelona on June 7th and want to be prepared. Any info is much appreciated. thank you so much!

Finland
Level Contributor
212 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Calm down. The rallies are very restricted into few street corners or streets in specific parts of Sants. Do not go there, otherwise the things go as usual and if you don't look the daily news, you will not kinow that there is such a thing going on.

new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Ok. thank you! I will avoid the Sants area. I am hoping the train station is fine though. I need to go to Tarragona on one of the days out of that station. I know that the American news ALWAYS hype up stuff. I just need to know from the locals what they feel while living there.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Don't be silly, of course not!... I have myself been in Sants this morning for an errand, and I can assure you life is as usual. Yes, on a particular couple of streets you could see the 'remains' of the protests from these past three nights but that's it. Will the protest continue tonight?, I doubt. Think an incident that happens in NY, any incident, does the whole of NY 'freezes' because of it? Here you have your answer :)))

And Sants station is working fine too. Sants station is the main hub in the city.

new york
Level Contributor
74 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Thank you!! :)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,289 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

mslinh210:

From what they said on TV, the demonstrations have started at 8 pm.

Tehran
Level Contributor
109 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

We were at Barcelona during March and confronted a demonstration one night. The other streets leading to the main protest street were closed by the police and they didn't let anyone to join the angry folks.

It was just restricted to that part and not on the other parts of the city. Although that the angry protesters started throwing bottles to the police and attacked some banks but we never didn't fell unsafe and tried to change our walking route through calm areas and enjoyed the rest of our time.

But just remember not to get near this areas specially when police officers are guarding because they are ready for any encounter and they do not know your a tourist or not.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 06:01
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

You don't arrive untill 7 June,it will probarbly all be over by then,if not quite simple don't go there,Barcelona is a big city,enjoy the rest of it,the police normaly cordon off areas of protest etc any way so if you see police cordon,turn around and change your route to miss it,and like enric said during the day it seems to be fine there any way,its night time the protests seem to kick off,so go during day if you have too,avoid at night simple.

Cole Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

There were protests last March when we visited. They were peaceful and not very disruptive except for temporarily blocking streets along the path of the march. Unlike other parts of the world protests in Barcelona (in my opinion) are for the purpose of making a statement to the government and are not designed to be a cover for rioting or any other activities.

At no time did we ever feel unsafe or threatened by the protests. Rather it provided us with the opportunity to talk to residents of Barcelona who would patiently discuss with us the economic realities of daily life in both Barcelona and Spain. This was eyeopening to us a tourist because no city / country wants to admit to tourist (and their economic impact) that things are not all sunshine and butterflies.

Barcelona and its people are a beautiful lot but they are also (like many of us) suffering from high unemployment, rising cost of living and politicians who seem to be out to line their own pockets rather than look after the populous.

We are returning again in July for our 4th visit in 5 years and we hope to see an improvement in the lives of the people who live there. If there are demonstrations in the streets we will do as last time , we will stay out of the way and we will talk to anyone who feels like explaining to us tourist why this is necessary.

Enjoy you visit and take normal precautions as you would in any large crowd at home and I am sure that you will leave Barcelona with many fawn memories and perhaps a bit of understanding of how lives are affected by the crumbling world economy even in major tourists spots like Barcelona.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Yes @Hanthonythomas, that's how most protests are in Barcelona, lots of noise but no violence... except when certain groups infiltrate them, then it can be scary at times -like these past nights: bit.ly/1puhWkC

But violence seems to be over now, some 200 trash containers burnt and 60 detainees later -one in prison already- the protest yesterday night by supporters of the demolished civic centre was noisy but totally peaceful.

Despite the video above, I insist in my comment to @mslinh210, in big cities all sorts of things happen all the time but the city goes on and most often, outside the 'affected' area, you only find out if you watch the news.

If you happen to be in an area where some incident is going on, simply leave the area (don't stay to stare!) and you shouldn't find yourself involved**. And if you get caught in the middle, simply stay inside any establishment and 'ride it out'. No biggie!

And yes... most protests have a reason to be, some are related to economical reasons, some political, some to show disagreement with a decision taken by the City Hall or the Government, etc... Protests are a healthy weapon in any democracy, so despite it might be an 'inconvenience' for a tourist, one should respect the protesters and their right to protest.

PS: ** unless you feel you want to get involved, but again, then don't complain should it turn violent. One knows how a protest begins, but not how it'll end.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 11:13
Cole Harbour, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Protests in Barcelona - Going next week-should i be worried?

Wow, we had no idea how things have changed since last March when we were there.

Thank-you for the update.

It will still not change our visit in July but we will certainly avoid any demonstrations to be on the safe side. I guess it goes to show that things can change quickly anywhere and your advice on what to do if caught up in an area where one is occurring is bang on.

Looking forward to being back in Barcelona.