We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

My family had a fantastic 3 night stay in Barcelona last weekend and our only regret was our short trip as we really wanted to stay longer!!

The city has changed enormously since our last trip about 12 years ago, I thought the city was well kept and the local municipal? had clearly invested a lot in the neighbourhoods we visited.

Stayed in Sant Antoni on Ronda Sant Pau, absolutely loved it, so many great restaurants, bars and cafes and within 10-15 minutes of the Ramblas and Placa Catalunya. As seasoned Londoners we took the same sort of precautions as we walked around as we do at home and boy did we trek for miles each day, didn't take the metro once! Kept bags close and zipped, avoided two different ladies with "petitions" and avoided being hugged or greeted in an over friendly way by some random guy late one night.

In fact the only trouble we had was my husband being elbowed out of the way by an elderly lady which left a huge painful bruise on his hand!

Also there are so many people standing around that we felt very at ease wherever we went. Really liked the beach area and Ciutat Vella too.

Next time we'll visit in early September so we can actual sunbathe too.

Thanks to everyone who answered my tedious question on areas to stay as it really helped with my planning. CG :-)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

Thank you for your report. It's always pleasant to see you enjoyed the city :))

And again, I always say a Londoner should feel 'like at home' in this city, I know, I was a Londoner too for some time, lol!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

I love London and how cosmopolitan it is, same with Barcelona we thought.

Could easily stay for a few weeks as there is so much to see, do, eat and shop!! Thought things were very reasonably priced too and the set menus of good value.

We didn't revert to looking trip advisor at all during our wanders around, just went with places with friendly service, clean surroundings and a good mix of people. CG :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

Thank you for your thoughts choirgirl, sounds like you had a wonderful time. We are going to Spain next march & our last 5 nights will be in Barcelona - can't wait!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

Choirgirl, ignore early September, aim for before and after 24th September. See La Merce on the top questions. You will not regret it.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

choirgirl:

People who take ordinary precautions against pickpockets will not have any problem with safety. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 04:15
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

BennyMalaga

I mainly agree with you as we did see people standing in the middle of streets reading maps and looking like lost tourists, or those huddled outside a restaurant looking at prices etc. to me they look like targets.

Also the amount of ladies with unlocked or unzipped handbags was extraordinary, and generally people with mobiles etc on tables in cafes too.

Unfortunately there are seasoned pickpocket's and street muggers who will take your whole bag or purse so that's almost impossible to avoid but people do need to take more responsibility for their own possessions. My teenagers also noted how many police were out on the streets, much more presence they thought than in London, though most we saw were helping lost tourist!!!!

As I said, great city, great vibe and I can see why Barcelona attracts 10 million visitors a year! CG :-)

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

thanks for update on your trip.

8. Re: Barcelona - great trip, lovely city, no safety issues for us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:16