We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Firstly, I would like to say a big thank you to all the experts on this forum, I've found information very useful for planning our upcoming trip.

I will be visiting Barcelona for the first time on 6 July, with my husband to celebrate our 25 Wedding anniversary. We don't arrive until 9pm on Sunday evening and would love to see the Magic Fountain. We are intending to taking a taxi from the airport to K+K Picasso hotel in El Born. I understand the last show is 11pm and as we are only there of 3 nights, this will be our only opportunity to see the fountain.

Sorry for the rambling, but how feasible is it to get from our hotel to the fountain to see 11pm show? Also, if it is possible, how would we get there and how long would it take?

Thank you for your time!

Mentioned in this post
El Born
El Born
3,505 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Font del Geni Catala
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
La font de la Granota
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Hola Fernix,

Congratulations on 25 years of bliss! Here's my favourite video of the Magic Fountain, complete with musical opening by Queen. It's interesting how it starts out - the sky is still bright - and gradually grows darker. After 1:45 min, you'll start to see the evening water/lights/music show. infocatalonia.eu/w/…

I've made a similar journey by taxi several years ago. Just take a taxi from the hotel to Placa Espanya for about 10 euros. If the driver takes the harbourfront road, it should be about about 10 min.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

If you are "hand luggage only" it should be fine. Our last few arrivals have been efficient - into a taxi within 30 minutes of touch down. Traffic should be light. Tell the taxi marshall that you would like the quickest route.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

If it's hand luggage only, perhaps Aerobus directly to Placa Espanya for 5.90 euros per person. After the Magic Fountain, get a nice dinner or drinks and tapas.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Thank you for your replies.

Unfortunately, we will have 1 case, so will need extra time to wait for that. May be Aerobus direct to Placa Espanya would work? Then is it easy to get taxi from there to hotel after the show?

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Plaça Espanya is pretty crowded on Magic Fountain nights. Lots of people coming and going. Sooner or later, someone may get dropped off in front of you. It took me a while to get a taxi. I ended up going to the smaller street, not facing the roundabout.

Another option is to taxi to the hotel, drop off the luggage and take the metro. To save some time, ask the taxi driver to drive you over to Arc de Triomf metro station. From there, buy a T10 ticket and ride the L1 (red) line 6 stops to Plaça Espanya.

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/maps/barcelon…

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

I think my best option is to take taxi from airport to hotel, then take a taxi from hotel. Think it will all depend on what time we get to the hotel, fingers crossed!

Thanks

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

I can't think of a better way to get there fast.

Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

You might want to just ask the hotel to hold onto your luggage & not bother taking it up to your room. If you explain, you probably wouldn't even have to go through check-in until you get back. You'd better hold tight to anything you take with you to the Fountains!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,444 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Don't worry, I think you'll make it. By taxi, from the airport to your hotel at that time of the day, say 45' tops, plus 15' sorting out the checking in, plus another taxi and 30' to the fountain and you'll be able to catch one of the last two shows (10:30 and 11).

More info on the fountain: http://bit.ly/1pEM1hv

Edited: 04 June 2014, 11:33
HAWTHORNE, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Magic Fountain - is this possible?

Hi - jumping in to this thread. Are taxis readily available from Plaça Espanya after the light show? Thanks!