We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

My husband and I are just beginning the planning for our trip to Barcelona this coming September. I Before I get into the details of my planning I wanted to run my basic itinerary by experts on this forum. I was thinking that we would arrive on a Saturday morning (overnight flight on Friday from New York) and then heard directly by train to Girona. We could tour Girona that afternoon and the following morning (Sunday) we would take the train to Figueres and see the Dali Theater-Museum. Then we could also tour Girona on Monday and when we are finished we would take the train to Barcelona. So we would arrive in Barcelona some time Monday later afternoon/early evening and we then would not leave for home until Sunday. That gives us 5 full days in Barcelona. My thought was that we would definitely take a trip to Montserrat and possibly to Sitges as well (although we do are not interested in sitting on the beach, it still looks like an interesting place to visit). Or possibly we would visit Tarragona in place of Sitges?

Does this plan make sense? Other ideas?

Thanks!

Susan

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Just out of interest, what dates?

If 19th to 24th it ties in with 'La Merce'

Edited: 02 June 2014, 22:57
Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Yes, we would be there on those dates. So...is that good or bad! We would be in leave Girona for Barcelona on the 22nd.

Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Bad typing! I meant we would be leaving Girona for Barcelona on the 22nd and would stay until the 28th

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Hola Susan,

From your previous threads on TA, I gather that you are a well-seasoned traveler, that you like a busy schedule and that you don't mind to hit the ground running. Therefore, I won't give you the spiel about making time to smell the roses. :-)

Given your interest in food, I would say that this itinerary allows you to spend the week days in Bcn, which is a very good thing. Many high-end restaurants tend to be closed on Sun and Mon. I look forward to seeing your Bcn dining list (for me, it's always a problem of 'too much to eat, too little time'). If you're planning to sample any of the Ferran/Albert Adria restaurants, make sure to check their booking process. Tickets is exactly 60 days in advance with a very small booking window. Best time to book is just after 12 am Bcn time. Go online one night and see what date is being processed. Then, count forwards and mark that date on your calendar. http://www.ticketsbar.es/web/en/#reservas

My only tweaking of your itinerary is to suggest that you go from Girona to Figueres and back to Barcelona from there. You can store your luggage at the Dali Museum. If you don't mind driving, rent a car and go to the Dali House Museum in Port Lligat (near Cadaques). The house is very interesting, even for non-Dali fans, and the view of the ocean is spectacular.

Figueres has 2 train stations: (old) Figueres station near the Dali Museum and (new) Figueres Vilafant station, about 10 min away by taxi. The faster trains use the new station.

PS. Typing too slowly and baking at the same time, lol. You'll be in town during a very busy time. Make sure to buy tickets online in advance for the Gaudi sights. Feel free to ask for help if you need advice on hotels or rental apts.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 23:36
Westchester, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

I considered going directly from Figueres to Barcelona but thought we might enjoy more time in Girona. Are you suggesting we head to Barcelona sooner? Or are you saying we should take 2 full days in Girona, then check out of our hotel and take our bags with us to Figueres? I hate having to drag the bags if we don't need to.

I have not begun to explore restaurants! But I will soon. And yes, we will try to book tickets for as many sights as we can in advance. I have to put together our itinerary before I can do that. Next step!

Susan

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,262 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Checking in/out, dragging bags or riding the train back and forth, it's your choice. Most people don't spend that much time in Figueres. They go to see the Dali museum and that's it for them. They don't bother to see the Modernist buildings or the house where Dali was born.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

Girona is a lovely town, with plenty to explore. Is the Dali museum in Figueres open on Monday? If so, visit then and head to Barcelona straight after your visit

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,980 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

As you've already seen Girona (I agree that it's lovely) then Tarragona might be more rewarding. It's almost as easy to visit as Sitges with direct trains from Barcelona Sants and has superb Roman remains, excellent sea-food restaurants on the harbour (Serrallo) and a delightful old town. There's plenty to do for a long day, especially if you plan it well. My favourite castellers statue is on Rambla Nova and the view to the sea from the end of that street is worth a few minutes of lingering.

9. Re: Help with Trip to Barcelona this September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16