We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

Toronto
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

We were wondering if it would be worth it (time wise and traffic wise) to rent a car for a couple of days from Barcelona and drive to some place in the pyrenees for hiking. We are trying to find a way to get into the mountain scenery and away from the big city for a bit, but don't have a lot of time for that in our itinerary. Is there some place relatively easy to drive to from Barcelona for a couple of days?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

Hi again Wendli,

Imho, if you can drive in downtown T'O and if you can manage the 401 and 403 interchange during rush hour, you can drive anywhere in Barcelona and beyond, lol. For ideas on where to go, have a look at my friend JOSEANTONIO's beautiful photo album and see what place tinkles your fancy.

http://www.pbase.com/joseantonio

Can you drive a manual transmission or will you need an automatic?

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Toronto
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

My partner drives stick, so I would probably leave most of the driving to him.... less expensive than renting an automatic. We have looked at San Sebastian, and wondered if there is a way to drive there via the Pyrenees as well. Interested in Costa Brava too, but sounds as if the traffic on the Costa Brava might be too much to handle in July.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

Hi,

Me and my wife went into the Pyrenees when we were over in Spain last month. We went to Ribes de Freser, Queralbs and then up the Col d'Ares to the French border. Its an easy route and well worth it cos the scenery is spectacular. From Queralbs and Ribes there is the Vall d'Nuria train which, from what i've read, leads to some good hiking territory. I would certainly recommend a trip.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Toronto
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

Hi, thanks. Did you drive? Did you stay overnight in any of the places you mentioned? How long do you think is needed to make it worthwhile if we were to spend one day hiking?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

We did our trip in a day, which was a lot of driving! I would say you'd need a couple of days at least if you want a day hiking. The places we visited were fairly quiet villages. Ripoll might not be too bad a place for a base and you can get the train there from Barcelona. The train then goes through Ribes de Freser from which you can get the Cremallera train to the Val d'Nuria. Or you could get the train all the way to Puigcerda on the border with France. The train might be easier than driving.

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Puigcerda
Puigcerda
Province of Girona, Spain
France
France
Europe
6. Re: piggy backing on my first question re. the pyrenees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:16