We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

So we are flying in/out of Barcelona. We have 2 weeks, will be renting a car. Which way would you go? One option is to drive up to Province, France, i always wanted to see the lavender but never got a chance. The other option ( a bit longer drive though) is to drive to San Sebastian... There are so many beautiful spots on the way! But its twice the drive time...

We love small villages where we can walk around, good food, interesting nature etc. We might stop by couple of museums, but its not our main goal, we'll have 3 kids with us...

If you can think of other direction i would love to hear any suggestions!

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

Hola YuOr,

When are you visiting? Over the summer? I've always wanted to see the lavender fields of Provence too but last time I visited, it was the wrong time of year. I love San Sebastian too. A few yrs ago, I rented a car and drove from SS to the Dordogne Valley, stopping in Bordeaux. Your kids would love the Dordogne, with its caves and castles. You might like its wines, foie gras and meat products.

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

we are going aug 18-sep 1...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

theluberon.com/activities/lavender-provence

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,449 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

Yuor:

I would go to San Sebastian. The Playa de la Concha is for me the most beautiful beach in Spain. Last summer I spent a week in San Sebastian and had a wonderful time there. The food there is great, since the Basques are some of the best cooks in the world. You can eat the pintxos at inexpensive restaurants and bars too.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

you could go to San Sebastian area crossing the Pyrenees and stopping in a couple small villages like Ainsa, Sos del Rey Catolico, Anso, Roncal, etc there are hundred small villages to chose. On return you could visit Pamplona or Zaragoza.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

San Sebastian for one of those entire weeks if you can find accomodations. I wouldn't drive, I would fly to be able to have more time there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

Thank you all! Everybody seems to prefer San Sebastian to Provence :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

If you ask on TA France forums, you'll probably get the opposite advice. :-)

Book your apt asap for San Sebastian. August is the most popular time to visit. Feel free to ask for tips on this forum. TA Barcelona is much more active than TA San Sebastian.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 03:38
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

If you want to include caves with cave-paintings (as in the Dordogne, as per Gigis-mum's suggestion) you don't have to go as far as the Dordogne, you can combine it with the Basque coast.

Altamira is the most famous of the Spanish caves but we went to one of the caves in Puente Viesgo, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Plenty of castles in Spain too! Castille has the most (hence the name). You can even stay in a castle, some of the paradores are in castles

I'm not sure what route you looked at to get to San Sebastian but Barcelona to Provence is a long drive too

Edited: 22 June 2014, 05:57
Boston...
Level Contributor
259 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starting/Ending in Barcelona.Where to spend 2 weeks?

Thank you everybody! We've decided to make it easy on the kids this time, stay longer in Barcelona and only travel not further then Pezenas...