We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Hi,

We are two gays(age:23 and 25), from Istanbul, will visit Barcelona for 3 days. I have to say that we are not very courageful to visit very "gay" places, actually this will be our first time to visit "gay" places :/ Any advise for warm starting? :) I'm really curious about Sitges and gay beaches.

Thanks already!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,277 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Hola Koray,

If you were in town right now, you could enjoy the Gay Pride Sitges 2014, from 12-16 June. Barcelona is a very tolerant place, much more so than Istanbul, I imagine (someone recently wrote about being chased out of their rental apt in Tophane).

Some links to get you started in your trip-planning:

barcelona.com/barcelona_city_guide/…barcelona

timeout.com/barcelona/gay-lesbian/best-gay-b…

barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/gay/gay-barce…

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Yeah Gigis, it would be very good to see Sitges gay pride but we cant.... İstanbul gay pride is after our trip, it is no problem

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

well, I'm not sure what you expect from "very" gay places, but most gay places in Barcelona, Sitges or anywhere in the area are, how to say it... heterofriendly? I mean, everyone is welcome as far you live and let live. If you look for them, there are few places where a non-gay would feel out of place, but usually is not the case.

Sitges is internationally known as a gay mecca. But around here is basically known as "yet another seaside town", a beautiful one that attracts both gay and straight tourists. Of course due its international fame there are more gay people choosing it as destination. Actually some of my gay friends prefer to visit other towns nowadays, especially during peak months (quitter and cheaper places than Sitges). In any case, Sitges is worth a visit.

Same about gay beaches... these are usually just beaches with more gay guys, but not exclusive. These tend to be as well clothing optional. As well, probably there will some "activity" in the bushes near the beach... but for those who are not interested, you can go to the beach not noticing anything special.

So... I would say... just go anywhere you fancy and enjoy!

Bon viatge!

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Thank you belsaita. You understood what mean i. I am actually a student, bf is new working person. We need cheap areas :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Totally agree with @Belsaita, we're pretty much a live and let live society (with the odd bigot moron every now and then)

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Enric, what do you mean with bigot moron? Are there dangerous people for gays in Barcelona?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,112 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

No, no, I mean the idiot that has a problem with something that's different, be being gay, be being from a different religion, be being from a different country! It may be as subtle as a bad look or explicitly as politely inviting you to look for a different establishment. Sorry if my post caused alarm or concern, there's no reason for that, honest!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Hola a tothom!

Koray, I believe the key word in Enric's statement is 'odd'. We are not perfect so there are some idiots among us too. But they are a 'very minor' minority. Some of my gay friends are from another countries and they moved here after visiting, because they love the general vibe so much. I never heard from anyone being invited to move elsewhere in any bar, shop, etc. Here in Barcelona business generally comes first ('la pela es la pela', money is money) and it does not matter who you are as far you pay ;-)

However, a gay couple I know were recently 'politely' invited to get out of a shop in Madrid. They are about 40 years old and this was the first time something like that happened to them anywhere in Spain, so they were shocked (so their friends listening to their story were). If this was already rare occurrence in a more conservative city as Madrid, your chances of a bad experience in the more liberal Barcelona are near zero.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

Ditto!

10. Re: Advise for newcomer gay couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2015, 05:17