We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monjuic - walk or cable car?

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Monjuic - walk or cable car?

Hi,

we are staying at the Andante hotel in El Ravel and want to visit Montjuic. Is it walkable from our hotel or do we need transport? If so what transport ...metro?

Also to get to the top (castle) I have read somewhere that you can walk through a lovely park to get there instead of taking cable car. If so how long would this take? Do we need to allocate a whole day (assuming we spend a couple of hours enjoying views at the top)?

I would like to take the cable car too, for the views so was thinking walking up and cable car down or vise versa. Although I did read on TA that you are crammed in like sheep and don't get to see much.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

It is a pretty short walk (about 400m) from your hotel along Carrer Nou de La Rambla to Paral.lel Metro Station on Avda del Paral.lel. From there you can get the funicular up on to Montjuic, the top of the funicular is right next to the base station for the cable car. I suspect you are confusing the Montjuic Cable Car (Teleferic de Montjuic) with the one that goes from Barceloneta across the old port to Montjuic (Transbordador Aeri del Port) that is the one I've seen the odd complaint about overcrowding in.

I can't remember how long it takes to walk from the funicular to the castle it's not long, I suspect the cable car is 400 to 500 metres at most but the road and paths wind up the hill so it's further to walk, I'd guess about 20 minutes up, less down

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

I think I'm getting confused......well...I know I am :-)

Is a funicular not a cable car?

Do I need to take 2 cable cars to get to the top of the mountain?

Where is Monjuic park in relation to these cable cars? I thought it was at the bottom (not far from the magic fountain) and we would be able to walk through that to get to the top of Monjuic and the castle, and then catch a cable car back down to the bottom again.

I've trawled the forums and guides and just get confused with the various names for things, sorry if my questions seem daft to those who know the area well.

Again, thanks for any input

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,167 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

A funicular is like a tram or a train specially built at an angle to go up a steep slope. As it happens they are usually pulled up the slope by a cable between the rails

Montjuic is a sort of whale shaped hill with its hump facing the port (with the castle near its highest point) at the other, lower end is the Palau Nacional which is now the National Art Museum of Catalonia (Museo Nacional d'Art de Catalunya or MNAC) The Magic Fountain is in front of this at ground level (it is not on Montjuic itself).

For you the best and easiest way is to go to the Paral.lel Metro station which is also the Funicular Station and is not far from you. The Funicular goes up onto Montjuic at a sort of mid-point. The Funicular and cable car stations are right next to each other so if you want to continue up to the top on the cable car you can or you can stroll either up or down on the Av Miramar.

You might want to get the cable car up to the highest point, see the Castle and the views, then stroll down through the gardens, then along Av Miramar / Av de L'Estadi, past the Joan Miró Foundation and the Olympic Stadium, to the low end where MNAC, Poble Espanyol and the Fountain are. From the fountain it's a short stroll along a pedestrianised avenue to Placa Espanyol, where you can get a metro back, or if you still have the energy stroll back along Paral.lel

Have a look at the Top Question on the right of this page for more info on the funicular and the cable cars

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,296 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c157763/Barce…

Montjuic map siabarcelona.com/RutaMontjuic-ht/MontjuicENG…

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,444 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

Great explanation Doffcocker, thanks. And thanks Gigis_mum, you know my motto very well too: a picture is worth a thousand words! :)

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

Thanks for all the advice 😊

One more thing....is it walkable from the magic fountain (or wherever is considered the bottom of the hill) up to the castle? If so , any idea how long this would take? If the journey is do-able on foot, is there a recommended start point if the magic fountain is not sensible? Also if we took the funicular and cable car up and walked back down, are there obvious walking routes/paths or it it just any old way? I want to see the cacti and gardens (not interested in the art museum, cemetery etc just the castle and park).

Also with regard eating, I understand there is a restaurant in the gardens La font del gat that does a decent menu del dial, but also there is a cafe in the castle itself (if anyone knows the name that would be good so I could look it up). I was going to pack a picnic but if either of these are any good (quality and value) I won't bother (to save carting a load of food if a lot of walking is involved) What do you think?

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,444 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

It's f*** hot and humid for that, but if you must... it's around 2.6km continuously uphill, say an hour give or take, depending of course on your fitness level. My advice: take bus #150 in Plaça Espanya and will take you to the castle: http://maps.tmb.cat/ca/vullanar/visor/bus/150 then walk downhill as much as you like :))

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

Thanks......I reckon we'll walk down lol.

Any advice on eating when we're there? Is the cafe any good or should I stick with picnic/ restaurant in the garden?

9. Re: Monjuic - walk or cable car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17