We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

I am traveling to Barcelona 5-7 July with my son as part of a relationship building trip, after 12 months of bickering! He is typically teenager and I am typically mother. (we still get on okish though)

He says not too many churches and sightseeing...I cant get enough.

He says he wants to buy a tshirt, do the Nou Camp stadium tour and go to the beach, I say we need to see at least one Gaudi House, the Sagrada familia, the market, Barri Gotic and use the HO HO.

So far our hotel is on the Gran Via, we arrive on Friday at 19:00, i have tapas booked for 20:30 and we hope to see the fountain that evening. The next two days are a blank canvas.

Are there any lovely people out there that can act as mediators and tell us an itinerary that would suit us both and ......thanks xxx

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

If he enjoys sport, then if you're feeling brave you could take him to a castellers event. Unfortunately I don't see any in central Barcelona for the days that you are there, but there are two that can easily be reached by public transport - one in Castelldefels and one in Terrassa. The Terrassa one is for me the more appealing because it includes the famous Minyons de Terrassa who are one of the strongest teams and perhaps the team that represents the soul of the sport in its purest form. Maybe read up a little about the sport if you think you might go. My youngest was 19 (there's a world of difference between 16 & 19 of course) when he saw castells for the 1st time - and he was hooked. It will take up a big chunk of the Saturday of course but it is part of the local Festa Major so there will possibly be other things going on in Terrassa to enjoy. www.cccc.cat for details - look for the Agenda for Juliol and click on "Com arribar-hi" (how to get here) for the relevant event to see where it is. Looks like a short walk from the Terrassa-Rambla railway station.

Simpler but fun, pop in for a snack of Chorizo el Diable in La Succarena of Carrer de la Merce (unless you're vegetarians) but don't forewarn him. It's a small dish of spiced sausage served doused with a strong spirit that is lit a the table so you end up with a small bonfire. Surprisingly good fun.

Finally, keep an eye on the first thread in the forum because we try to keep it updated with stuff that is going on in the city. There might be something that appeals.

I hope it goes well.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
273 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

I know how you feel, I'm in barcelona with my 16 year old for 8 nights so I will eagerly watch this post for some ideas. It would be nice to have one trip without too much bickering.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

Girls, 16 y.o. are indeed difficult (you know!), because they're no longer children, but they are -you catch my drift, don't you?

Some random ideas which *might* be enjoyed by the both of you:

A visit to Casa Batlló or to La Pedrera, as @Gigis_mum mentioned, can be interesting as while being 'museums' they're so surrealist that appeal to people all ages. Same goes with Palau de la Música Catalana.

A mother-son visit to the city on a go-car (www.gocartours.com/our-tour-cities/barcelona/) gives you plenty of time to argue about which way to turn, laugh at each other's incompetence to read a map, make fun of passing people... ah yes, and visit the city too.

A segway tour by the beach front and the old town. A friend visited last week with six teens and had a smashing time.

www.segwaytours.cat | www.barcelonasegwayfun.com | www.segwaystp.cat | www.segwaytours.cat

Cosmocaixa, if he's barely interested in science: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

Camp Nou Experience, if he's a footie: fcbarcelona.com/camp-nou/camp-nou-experience

A performance of traditional Catalan folk, be the human towers, the fireruns... For castellers (human towers, ) check the calendar of the main association and look when's going to be one in Barcelona ( cccc.cat/contents/calendar-of-performances-6 ) As of today the next one is on the 22nd in the Sant Andreu neighbourhood. Or even better, attend a rehersal so you'll learn about it while watching: http://www.castellscat.cat/en/ In the same line, a visit to La Casa dels Entremesos can be quite enlightening (http://www.lacasadelsentremesos.cat/ and http://bit.ly/T1UPAa for an English summary). @PandaChris2 will surely provide much more detail to this if he sees this thread. He's Brit, nobody is perfect... (just teasing @PandaChris2!) but so very passionate about Catalan culture that he knows much more than many of us Catalans. I consider him the guru on this subject :)

This one is a bit off-the-top but still... http://www.barcelonajetski.com/ or for a more down-to-earth water-based activity: http://www.barcelona-orsom.com/

Some 'being-an-adult' type of activity, such as having a drink together in one of the posh beach clubs at Port Olímpic at night: allbarcino.com/wp-content/…2opium6.jpg

If you happen to be here in Sant Joan (23rd) simply going out at night time and visiting the old town and/or the area of the beaches at La Barceloneta will make your night as there are literally thousands of people celebrating the summer solstice with bonfires, fireworks... barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/events/sant-j… something to be experienced, at least once :)

A day escapade to

GIRONA: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

SITGES, including a bit of beach time: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

PORT AVENTURA: infocatalonia.eu/w/… -but you *need* to like rides!

BESALÚ, especially if you come from a country without much medieval tradition: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/11/30/besalu/

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

I also think Sagrada Familia is a must really.

The cheapest Gaudí house to visit is Palau Güell towards the bottom of the Ramblas. The audioguide is very interesting as you hear what the family thought about living there, it's more personal than the other visits (Casa Milá and Casa Batlló)

The square in front of MACBA in the Raval is always full of skateboarders, might that appeal? You can wander part of the old town getting there that way (the Barri Gotic is the most monumental part of the old town but the Raval is interesting too.)

I'm not a big fan of HOHO personally and think they are expensive, certainly if used mainly as a means to get between sights. If you do do it, I'd say try and do the green route out to Poble Nou, there are beaches along there.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

Re having a drink together in a posh beach club, I'll just mention that, as in the UK, the legal drinking-age is 18 here too

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

... have him have a glass of water then while you sip your martini, LOL!

What I meant is to have 'a drink', not necessarily an alcoholic one, it's the surrounding not the drink that'd be appealing to the teen.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 22:47
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

Talking about drinks... a visit to a cava (ie. Freixenet, http://www.freixenet.es/) it's also an interesting family activity. Note it's a half day activity as it's outside the city, in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia, 25' by train from Barcelona

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

Wow thanks so much for your views, I will definitely do a few of the ideas. Martini's, skateboard viewing and the Gocartours are all a yes .

its seems a case of fitting all the things in that is difficult in our 21/2 days...definitely no time to travel out of the city this time.

Any last minute thoughts/idea will be gladly received

Thank you for taking the time to answer x

9. Re: Mother and 16 year old son in Barcelona for 2 1/2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:17