We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Barcelona, a week with my 11 year old girl

Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to Barcelona, a week with my 11 year old girl

So finally it’s time to visit Barcelona for the first time. I’ve been to Spain several times, but never Barcelona. On Friday the 20th I’m arriving with my daughter (11 years) and we are staying a whole week! This will also be my first time travelling and using Air bnb. We are staying in one apartment very close to Plaza Espanya (with swimming pool in the apartment complex).

My daughter loves shopping, sun, beaches, trendy stuff, action/adventure parks and some culture and museums (but not to much ;-)). The only thing we have planned and booked so fare is half a day with horseback riding.

Do you have any recommendations? Should I do some bookings in advance, like Sagrada famiglia? Will it be smart to buy a hop on hop of bus tour the first day? If we will take a beach day outside central Barcelona, where will it be best to go?

I’ll appreciate any advices :-)

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Barcelona, a week with my 11 year old girl

hi,

You arrive befor Sant Joan...I suggest go to some of the "revetlles" during Sant Joan eve. Here, a webpage with information about "revetlles" and bonfires in Barcelona:

http://santjoan.bcn.cat/fogueres.php

Also, I suggest don't forgot to taste the typical dessert of Sant Joan: " la coca", this one:

donamvida.com/blog/…cocastjoan1.jpg

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Barcelona, a week with my 11 year old girl

I agree with 5de8. If you have a relaxed attitiude to bedtimes on special occasions then she might feel valued to be allowed to stay out late. I'm quite familiar with some of the city's festivals and have experienced Sant Joan in more traditional parts of Catalunya so it could be quite good fun. We won't be heading down to the beaches which is where much of the excitement takes place because we've heard that there's quite a focus on drinking and having fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm not prudish and enjoy a beer as much as the next man (or woman) but I suspect that some of the sites away from the coast will be more authentic. We're hoping to spend the evening with the lovely Diables (devils) and Tabalers (drummers) of Les Corts, near Sants station and Camp Nou but I imagine that other local groups will be equally entertaining. Might be worth doing a little research based on the link above and finding one or two places that sound good. The metro system is running all night so an absurdly early finish is feasible.

An 11 year old (and her mum) might enjoy a visit to the Casa de les Entremessos near the Santa Caterina market to see some of the ceremonial giants, beasts and monsters that are integral elements of many of the city's celebrations.

Suprisingly there are not many castellers events that are easy to get to during the period that you are there but I see a "Mostra catalana a Sant Andreu (Barcelona) " at 12 midday on 22nd. Look at www.cccc.cat and select "Agenda i resultats" on the left then click "Juny" for this months events. This one seems to be part of a larger event, the Mostra catalana which may well be a celebration of many things Catalan so there could be other activities that might be of interest. Click on "Com arribar-hi" to work out how to get there. If you're planning any day trips out of the city then there are a few castells days that are easy to get to and could be combined with normal sight-seeing.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Barcelona, a week with my 11 year old girl

adding to the above suggestions, this are ideas you might want to consider: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k75464… check response #8

4. Re: First visit to Barcelona, a week with my 11 year old girl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:17