We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?!

I know this is a very generic question but would really appreciate any advise/opinions. I'm wanting to travel to Barcelona at the start of September with my partner but have no idea what area/hotel is best to stay. We are a young couple so would like somewhere that is in amongst all the buzz and has good transport links and isn't too far from the airport. I have never been to Barcelona before so have no idea where to start. Thanks for all your help in advance

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?!

Since this question gets asked a lot... this is my sort of standard response ;)

For a visual response to your question: http://oi44.tinypic.com/20r5nd3.jpg Note that the red zones don't mean "no stay", they just mean (to me) that are not convenient for a short stay in the city, either too far or too rowdy or a bit seedy, but by all means one has to visit them as all have their own charm. Keep in mind though that this is a very personal response, other members will surely recommend different things and probably equally good (or better!)

Just for info I include links to three videos showing the areas of l'Eixample, Gràcia and El Born -as per the above map- so you can have a glimpse on what they look like:

L'EIXAMPLE: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

EL BORN: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/01/el-born/

GRÀCIA: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

L'Eixample is classy and elegant, a large district with wide streets and avenues

El Born is historical with little streets and alleys, may get a bit rowdy at times

Gràcia is like a homy little town within the city with a life of its own, slightly farther (15' by metro) but worth considering.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,693 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?!

The map above is really good. We just spent 12 nights in Barcelona, five nights in Old Town and seven out at a convention hotel. We stayed in an apartment just off Las Ramblas by Carrer de la Bouqeria. It was ideally situated for wandering old town. You have the energetic night life of Las Ramblas nearby but could also wander tiny streets. Most of the main attractions we wanted to see were in easy walking distance.

There's no meaningful neighborhood really close to the airport. But you can easily walk 5-10 minutes to the airport bus on Placa de Catalunya. Taxi is also very easy, maybe Euro 25-30. We were also close to the Liceu metro station which was convenient.

If you want an apartment suggestion, send me a private message.

Have fun

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?!

To be a slightly shorter travel time to the airport you could stay near Plaça Espanya, rather than Plaça Catalunya/Ramblas. Great transport links for getting around the city and also perfect if a day-trip to Montserrat is planned as the FGC train leaves from Espanya. And to get back to the airport you can even use a T-10 ticket on the 46 bus.

It's an area with loads of bars and restaurants, and shops, but is less tourism-dominated than the Ramblas area. It is the Eixample on one side and the neighbourhood of Hostafrancs (Sants) on the other

Staying near an airport rarely gives you a place with a buzz!

Edited: 18 June 2014, 08:21
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?!

Enric your map is really good!! I don't know why people keep going to Diagonal Mar when there's is nothing there and is far!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,763 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?!

this new map is better than the older one, at least my house is not in the red zone any more :p

i've not checked but perhaps hotels in Diagonal Mar are cheaper or just have good ratings by those going to the forum meetings center.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,611 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?!

hahaha!... I did change it on purpose I suppose, I didn't want you to feel that someone was pointing the finger at you.... :)))) Seriously, I changed it because I felt that some fellow TAs were misunderstanding the reason why I was saying that I wouldn't choose that zone to stay, which has nothing to do with safety.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,531 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?!

I've now looked at the map...at last!

While Gracia is delightful I wouldn't say it's all that convenient for an early visit to Barcelona. I'd have thought Plaça Espanya area might have got a recommendation if Gracia does. Staying near Espanya you have the sights of Montjuic on your doorstep, also FGC train to Montserrat and Renfe trains at Sants, and great transport links to rest of the city. And the neighbourhood of Hostafrancs with narrow streets, small squares etc

A friend of mine who spent several months in Barcelona off and on over a year really liked the villagey feel of Sant Antoni., walkable to the Raval and rest of the Old Town but without the edginess of the Raval

I think people get great deals on hotels in Diagonal Mar, precisely because it's not a convenient location for sightseeing from, the hotels have to offer something to fill the rooms!

Edited: 18 June 2014, 13:25
NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?!

Hi I am going to be in Barcelona in July We are a group of 8 adults and one child. Any recommendations?

I would like to be in somewhat close to everything but a little wary of being in a shady part of town.

Thanks.

'

Lucy

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?!

Sorry for the late reply, only just getting on to here. Thank you all so much for your replies - they are all extremely helpful. That map is great!! I shall definitely use all your advise.

10. Re: Where to stay?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:16