We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Hi .. we are a group of 8 adults and one child that will be in Barcelona for 4 nights in 3rd week of July . Can anyone recommend a vrbo or home away that will accommodate us? I would like to be close to Las Ramblas. Thanks.

Lucy

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,183 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Hola Lucy,

La Rambla is good for a walk-through but there's really no reason (or logic) to stay close by. It's touristy, expensive and very crowded with a pickpocketing problem. If you want specific recommendations, you'll need to give your travel dates and budget in Euros. July is just around the corner and lots of apts will already be booked (fortunately Bcn has many rental apts). Have a look at www.habitat.com, www.friendlyrentals.com or www.booking.com

Some nicer areas include Placa Catalunya, the middle part of l'Eixample (near Passeig de Gracia or Rambla de Catalunya), the area around the Sagrada Familia and El Born (in the Old City).

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

El Born is an ancient romantic neighborhood near the beach. It is close to Las ramblas which is a freakshow. The only thing I like is that La Boqueria is right off Las ramblas, that and Barrio Gotic is a great neighborhood for walking, shops and eating. If you want a more modern, posh neighborhood than L'eixample would be good. Keep in mind that it will be extremely hot in Barcelona in July,

NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

My reasoning for staying close to La Ramblas was that I wanted to be within 10 minutes walking distance because for 9 of us to get to the city could be bothersome and expensive every day. Plus I have 2 adults over 70., 2 teenagers....If we were too far from city center wouldn't that be a headache to get there every day?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

I'd also avoid La Rambla for staying... far too crowded. L'Eixample is a good choice I think.

Since this question gets asked a lot... this is my sort of standard response ;)

For a visual response to your question: http://oi44.tinypic.com/20r5nd3.jpg Note that the red zones don't mean "no stay", they just mean (to me) that are not convenient for a short stay in the city, either too far or too rowdy or a bit seedy, but by all means one has to visit them as all have their own charm. Keep in mind though that this is a very personal response, other members will surely recommend different things and probably equally good (or better!)

Just for info I include links to three videos showing the areas of l'Eixample, Gràcia and El Born -as per the above map- so you can have a glimpse on what they look like:

L'EIXAMPLE: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

EL BORN: www.infocatalonia.eu/w/2013/12/01/el-born/

GRÀCIA: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

L'Eixample is classy and elegant, a large district with wide streets and avenues

El Born is historical with little streets and alleys, may get a bit rowdy at times

Gràcia is like a homy little town within the city with a life of its own, slightly farther (15' by metro) but worth considering.

NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Hola,

I would need the apartment July 22 thru the 26 th. and am looking for mid range. Moderate accomodations. Neat ,clean etc The reason I wanted to be close to Las Ramblas is that I don't want to pay everyday for travel into the city for 9 of us. A 10 minute walk to the city is what I would like. I don't want to be too far on outskirts so that I would need to take metro or taxi etc for 9 of us. thanks.

NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Thank you. I did see your previous posts and that's why I was not too happy with staying in the Raval area. Let me see what apartments I come up with and then I will ask you experts if they are okay.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,183 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Lucy,

What's 'moderate' to you might be expensive to another traveler. If you want specific recommendations, you'll need to give us a numeric budget. Or else, pls use the links I suggested in my earlier post.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

hahaha, a typical 'suburban' comment (just joking NJLucy!)... note that many European cities, such as Barcelona, have not one centre and then residential areas surrounding it like it's typical in many (not all I know) American cities. In fact over here most major cities have a pattern similar as to joining up several smaller towns next to each other: each one (each district of the city) has its own social life, shops, supermarkets, boulevards, monuments, etc. In short, Barcelona has 10 districts and staying in any of them would make you feel like staying 'in' the city.

Having said that, the most touristy ones are, as per the map I pointed out before, those near Plaça Catalunya (namely Barri Gòtic, La Ribera, L'Eixample, etc) therefore I can appreciate your willingness to be near those, but then another factor comes in: transportation. We have a good metro network that takes you from one end to the other in say 40', so providing you're near a metro station you could well be at one of the farthest districts and still be 'close enough' to where the touristy action is. So you know :)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

Btw, the reason for this pattern of neighbourhoods it's because in many instances, some of those districts were separated towns/villages in the past that had been absorbed by the growing city, but already back then each had it's own distinct flavour and 'way of life' with all the necessary bits and pieces (as I said, all have all sorts of facilities, from medical to shops to entertainment)

10. Re: Where should group of 9 stay in Barcelona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:17