We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

This probably sounds like a daft question, but the weather forecast next week is thunderstorms all week!- how accurate is this?

We visit Mexico regularily and the forecast always says heavy thunderstorms all day every day and all we normally get is a 5 min downpour at most which dries up again in the next 5mins. (this occurs maybe 2 or 3 times in a 2 week break)

So basically if the forecast says thunderstorms - is it a UK kind of forecast (i.e rain all flipping day long with no respite, or more of a 'Mexico' kind of forecast) I know what answer I'm hoping for lol.

I know it doesn't really matter I suppose as we are going mainly for the food, but on 2 of the days we wanted to visit Montserrat and Monjuic and obviously sunny, cloud free days are pretty much a prerequisit to appreciate the views.

Thanks All.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

Hi, I have seen the forecast and is gonna be sunny at lest till wednesday!

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

we arrive tuesday afternoon .......

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
224 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

Weather reports, regardless of location, are all based on probability. The chance of them being acurate is no more or less in spain than it is in your home country.

An example we were in barcelona tues to thurs and the forecast was tues rain and thunder weds the same then thurs dry. Tues we had a big thunder storm and heavy rain for about an hour in the evenin, dry weds, and dry thurs.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,639 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

I usually check two different weather sites for a city just before going.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

People only ask here on forum about accuracy when the forecast is not what they want to see, ie rain, basically! Yes thunderstorms are short-lived; days when it rains gently all day are very rare in Barcelona, and I would say very unlikely in the summer

A thunderstorm clears the air so after one is when you'd get the best views-

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

this is the most accurate forecasts web page for Barcelona: meteo.cat/servmet/…index.html

click on "dia seguent" (next day) for next day forecast. the bar under Barcelona's name shows the rain risk. as Lynda said, thunderstorm are usually short and they impact in a small area, so perhaps in a town are under Niagara's falls and 30 km at side they have a sunny time.

wales
Level Contributor
118 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

yes, I appreciate people only ask when the weather looks bad......but isn't that just human nature lol .

I was relieevd to hear that the storms are short lived and not 'all-dayers', so thank you for putting my mind at ease Lynda.

Phatbear , you said " The chance of them being acurate is no more or less in spain than it is in your home country" ....... . the Mexico forecasts are soooo very innacurate compared to the ones in the UK, I just thought (hoped??) that Spain was similar in that respect. Maybe we'll be lucky like you and the forecasts will be a bit off :-)

On the bright side though, the best sunsets/sunrises are usually when there is a change in the weather front - so even If I do not get to see the spectacular mountain views I may be lucky enough to catch the odd sensational sunset :-)

Rain or shine we love Barca anyway and won't let it spoil our trip

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

kyla_taff, forecasts here are as good or even better than in the UK, the only problem here is that in some cases (thunderstorms, hailstorms,etc) there are big difference in weather conditions in a small distance and then you should use a real size forecast map, as it is not possible they show the worse case scenario.

as example, last tuesday here in Barcelona the storm was quite short, 15 minutes?, and it rained 10liters/m^2, 80 km north it was almost 100 liters/m^2

by the way, forecasts are not just probability, knowledge and data analysis are the most important part.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

Spectacular sunsets are rare, spectacular sunrise even more so. That's why I take loads of photos of them when on holiday elsewhere!.

Also the lie of the land in Barcelona also reduces the impact. You can't actually see the sunset with city background but dusk falling over the city is good viewed from In front of MNAC on Montjuic

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concerned at weather forecasts! Are they accurate?

One other thing I meant to mention, if you are comfortable with reading Catalan and a Twitter user, then consider following some local cultural groups. Amongst the ones I follow is Diables de les Corts who quite often post about local cultural events that one might otherwise miss. There are plenty of others. I think Facebook is similarly a source of up to date info but I don't use it.

[I do apologise - that post was meant for a completely different thread. Must have clicked the wrong link]

Edited: 21 June 2014, 08:21