We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thursday Sept 11, 2014 Diada de Catalunya

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Thursday Sept 11, 2014 Diada de Catalunya

Im planning a trip to Spain and my tentative plan has me flying from Barcelona to Granada in the afternoon on Thursday Sept 11, 2014 which looks to be a national day called Diada de Catalunya. Does everything shut down this day or is it business as usual? Will I have trouble finding transportation in Barcelona?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,415 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Thursday Sept 11, 2014 Diada de Catalunya

Hey canuck, how do you roll on July 1st in Kamloops, huh?... just teasing you :)... our national day, much like your July 1st I guess, sees normal daily life activity altered, but life goes on and there are services that are working 24/7 the whole year, among which the transportation. Having said that, as in any other holiday (ie. X-mas) you need to book quite in advance to ensure availability.

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Thursday Sept 11, 2014 Diada de Catalunya

As you say it is a public holiday so most museums and similar will be closed. Shops too, except for coner-stores. Cafes and restauarants open.

Public transport will be as for a Sunday or public holiday i.e. a reduced service but nothing to worry about and indeed Metro services will extend later into the night for this reason.However ...

There are plans for a very big political demonstration in the heart of Barcelona which will support the claims for a referendum on Catalan Independence to be held on November 11th 2014 and this will inevitably have major knock on effects for those using overground transport that day. Metro too but to a lesser extent, I guess, by which I mean that city centre streets will be paralysed but Metro lines will just be very busy all day but especially from early afternoon onwards.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,415 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thursday Sept 11, 2014 Diada de Catalunya

Good point FEMattimoe... still, assuming JodoKast1221 is going to Granada by train he'll be departing from Sants which is far from the centre, same with main bus stations. But again, it's still something to consider when heading to the train/bus station: it can take you longer than normal so factor this in.

4. Re: Thursday Sept 11, 2014 Diada de Catalunya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24