We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

Is anyone here a USA citizen who has obtained a retiree visa to Spain ? I have a few questions:

1- Is it permanent, or do you have to renew it every year or something ?

2- Does a visa for staying indefinitely in Spain mean you also can stay indefinitely in any EU country ? Or does the 3-months-of-every-6 tourist visa still apply when traveling elsewhere in EU ? I assume the latter.

3- I assume while your application is pending, you still can travel in and out of Spain using the normal tourist visa (3 months out of every 6) ?

4- I understand they ask about your annual income. I have little income but tons of savings; I'm living off my savings for the rest of of my life, slowly drawing them down. Do the authorities understand this kind of situation ?

5- Apparently "official translations" of paperwork into Spanish must be submitted. Are there "official translation" services ? Are they costly ?

Thanks.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

Bill:

I am an American who now lives in Malaga. I got a permanent visa in San Francisco because my wife is Spanish. I did not need to renew it.

I think the best thing to do is to contact a Spanish consulate near the place where you live and get information, which I suspect changes over time.

About Question No. 4, there are thousands who live in Spain in your situation. I think if you show them how much you have in the bank you will not have any problem.

By the way, the Costa del Sol has the best climate in Spain, with 320 days of sunshine. We have 5 American clubs here for those Americans who like to get together.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

1) Europe restricts people from staying longer just as the US or Australia does. You can only stay in Spain under Shenanigan agreement, unless you have rights like Benny has.

2) see above.

3) see above

4) If you somehow manage to find a way to stay in Spain then you will become a tax resident. If you do then you have to declare your world wide assets. That includes savings and properties.

5) Translation services are costly and I assume you have to have your paperwork translated in your own country. Maybe you have to get all paperwork legalised too. The Spanish like a lot of paperwork!!!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

Bill, you'll probably get more and better answers if you ask on an expat forum.

spainexpat.com/spain/…retirement_visa_spain

USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

I should have mentioned that I did read various Spanish consulate web sites and various expat articles before posting my questions.

Interesting point about the taxes; I'll have to look into that. I assumed Spain wouldn't tax money earned in USA on bank accounts of a US citizen, even if that US citizen was residing in Spain full-time.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,740 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

I do not know what the tax situation is between the two countries.

Obviously you still need to keep your US tax affairs in order.

if you are resident in Spain for more than 183 days then you should pay your taxes in Spain. That is how the Spanish see it.

Of course to get over the visa problem then you could go down this route.

elpais.com/elpais/…1400837712_504456.html

But the above report suggests it is not very popular. I can guess why.

USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

I'm getting no response at all on the spainexpat.com forum. Any other expat forums I should try ?

I have put those questions, and more, and info collected, on a web page:

www.billdietrich.me/Barcelona.html#longstay

BC
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

Check out a website called LiveandInvestOverseas.com. I get a regular newsletter from the website and you can pick up all kinds of information and advice for living in countries all over the world.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

I am not an expert on taxes, but it works more or less the same everywhere. as example, living in the USA and paying taxes there you must declare your world wide assets too (just look for hidden secret accounts in switzerland owners on the media and how the american senate is trying get the names and fine them).

have you emailed the USA consulate in Barcelona? if you are here yet you could go there by bus #66 (i think that is this one) or by FGC train (Reina Elisenda station is 5 minutes walking away).

USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

I've found a pretty good expat forum, with a good FAQ and a fair amount of activity: expatforum.com/expats/… I've asked there; will see what response I get.

10. Re: USA citizen get retiree visa to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 05:17