We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

I went online to book a one way flight with Vueling from Barcelona to Oporto on a Saturday in September but my date is not 'clickable'. Does this mean there are no seats available for that date? Flight dates before and after do seem to be available. Ryanair has seats for my date. Can anyone tell me what sort of reputation Ryanair has or perhaps another airline that is a reasonable price and reliable service for this route?

Many thanks!

Europe
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

Have you tried TAP? (flytap.com) They have several flights each day to OPO. And if you book now for September you can still find their "discount" fares. (They are my first choice to OPO or LIS, since they are a full service airline.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

Thanks for that info. Haven't tried TAP but will:)

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

If you want to know about Ryanair, or any other alrline try:

www.airlinequality.com

Recently Ryanair announced a charm offensive by which they meant that they would try to cut down on their hostility to passengers !

"Not recommended" Certainly not by me. Nor by many of the contributors to the above web.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 11:28
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

It seems odd that in September there are no Saturday flights available with vueling and there are flights every day in August. Perhaps there are no Saturday flights on September?

Thanks for your opinion on Ryanair previous poster.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 13:14
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

I fly often with Ryanair and having read and understood their terms and conditions I have no problems with them. They offer a reliable service on modern aeroplanes with no frills and they do penalise people who ignore or try to bend the rules. They often offer very competitive prices, especially if you travel hand luggage only. If you have hold luggage then the price can increase substantially.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

Thank you for saying thank you. (It can be sad to see how many people don't bother to.)

Glancing at the Vueling website, they fly daily until the first weekend of September specifically Friday 5th. After that they do not fly 7/7 and never have a Saturday flight. Presumably because they cannot make any money from it?

I read the opinion expressed by Pandachris re-Ryanair and it is obviously quite as valid as mine. It does seem strange however that he makes only an extremely guarded comment along the lines "they do penalise people who ignore or try to bend the rules" to gloss quickly past the many many issues over which Ryanair has achieved a notoriously poor reputation in Europe. One which which has not perhaps yet reached Australia.

A quick glance at the many hundreds of posts about Ryanair on the website above will expand your sources of information beyond the 2 of us and allow you to form your own considered opinion as to why I for one have no hesitation in categorising them firmly as "not recommended."

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

I'm not attempting to gloss over the penalties. They are applied often. I've been caught once in the old days when they did it per kg over weight and paid a few Euros. I think the monetary sums are larger now - however I have been on Ryanair flights when they have not seemed too bothered.

I have read a number of comments, threads and so on about Ryanair's practices and rapidly came to the conclusion that a lot of people who complain about them are really reviewing their own inability to read and/or understand the rules. And they are not, IMO, either hidden or difficult. Clearly some people have valid reasons for complaint and this applies to other airlines. I despise Air France and have had dreadful experiences every time I've had anything to do with them, for example. However Ryanair carry millions of satisfied passengers every year. I'm personally not too fussy and see flights as a means to an end. I seldom drink alcohol when flying so don't regret the absence of "Free" food and drink but rather see it as the chance for me not to have to pay for other people's drinks. If I want a glass of wine or a sanswich, then I can choose to buy one at prices that are very similar to those found in UK airports.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

A glance on the website I posted at the last 10 reports for the 2 airlines which this thread title is about shows that on a scale out of ten, Vueling received a very unsatisfactory total of 3 zero scores. Very poor IMO.

Ryanair however outscored even that by getting no less than 6 zero scores. Pathetic IMO

Adding the 2 scores out of 100 for the last 10 reports shows that Vueling receives an unimpressive total of 49. "Not quite a pass mark" as the Spanish media would say.

Ryanair scrape in at 25!

Not many of the millions of satisfied customers for Ryanair have bothered to send in a positive report on them, it would seem. And glancing at the 10 Ryanair reports, not a single one complains either that there is no free alcohol. Or free meals. Not one.

But a constant undertow of bitter recrimination at the treatment offered to passengers and the many supplementary fees levied is there for all to see.

Just read the threads.Then make up your own mind.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 14:25
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

Just for fun I had a quick look at some recent Ryanair reviews on the link provided by FEM1888:

26 June 2014 by S Hogben "Absolutely appalling that my partner and I have to pay an extra £60 to be able to print our boarding passes ..." - Not really sure what their complaint is. This requirement is made very clear in the Ryanair Terms and Conditions. They accept them when they make the booking. The real problem seems to be finding somewhere to print the boarding cards in a two week holiday. They also somewhat exaggerate the conditions imposed. It took me two clicks on the website to get to the details. They simply didn’t read them so are reviewing themselves. I’ve been to Greece. They’ve got electricity, computers and loads of modern stuff. Finding somewhere to print the cards was surely not that difficult. We managed it with ease in Spain last week.

26 June 2014 by J Ozyp – same thing – they simply had not bothered to read the Ts & Cs. I simply don’t believe the comment “90% of the people that approached the counter had to pay additional fees.”. We spoke to many Easyjet passengers (Easyjet also apply this policy) last week during our long wait for a cancelled flight and at the hotel we were shipped to and everyone seemed to be well aware and had made suitable arrangements. The hotel printed the new passes for everyone for free.

24 June 2014 by R White – another one complaining about printing boarding passes and distorting the facts about the rules to suit themselves. They also complain about flight conditions though as someone who is over 6’ tall all flights feel cramped and stuffy to me.

24 June 2014 by R Calcutt-Saunders - boarding passes/printing.

24 June 2014 by Luigi Saputelli - boarding passes. “We did not know about this policy until we arrived at the airport. They would not refund our ticket! What a rip off.”

For the sake of fairness, here is the policy from the Ryanair website:

“All passengers are required to check-in online on http://www.ryanair.com/ and print out their boarding passes.

From the 8th April 2014 onwards online check-in will open 30 days before each scheduled flight departure time for customers who purchase an allocated seat. Customers who do not wish to select and purchase an allocated seat, can check-in online between 7 days and 2 hours before each booked flight and will be randomly allocated a seat free of charge. Once a passenger has checked in online they can reprint or download their boarding pass up to two (2) hours before each scheduled flight departure time. Each Boarding Pass must be printed and presented on an individual A4 page. Customers who fail to check-in online within the above deadlines will be charged an Airport Check-In fee at the rate set out in our Consolidated Table of Fees. Customers who do not present a boarding pass at the airport will be charged a Boarding Pass Re-Issue fee at rate set out in our Consolidated Table of Fees”

As I said, this is really easy to find on the website. I find it difficult to be sympathetic. I would also observe that more and more airlines are adopting similar approaches.

If Ryanair cared about their passengers (and I rather suspect that they don’t) then they could offer a paid for printing service for boarding passes, albeit at a much cheaper rate than the penalty system in the Ts & Cs. The fact that they don’t suggests that they are happy enough that the vast bulk of passengers who use their service without bothering to complain justify inaction. They’re probably right.

So caveat emptor if using Ryanair but that applies to any purchase. Understand what you’re getting into and you’ll have a successful and on-time flight. I can only recall one (of dozens) of Ryanair flights that arrived late – helped, of course by them exaggerating how long it will take to get from A to B by 20 minutes or so.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vueling v ryanair Barcelona to Porto

I was putting the above together whilst FEM1888 was replying. I haven't bothered looking at Ryanair (or other airlines) whinge lists recently. Lack of "free" food and drink featured frequently. I even saw complaints about the charge to use the toilets on Ryanair, even though this never happened (it was said once as a joke by the unpleasant O'Leary character who is the face of the airline) - so people were giving negative reviews even though they clearly hadn't taken the flights - or at least used the toilet.

I do maintain, though that most of the people above are not reviewing Ryanair at all. They are reviewing their own stupidity. They failed to understand what they needed to do and got caught out. I am not praising Ryanair. They are not, IMO, a particularly pleasant company. But to base an assessment of an the quality of airline on reviews that are themselves of demonstrably low quality is questionable.