We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of Taxi fare from Hotel Il Jardi to Barcelona airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cost of Taxi fare from Hotel Il Jardi to Barcelona airport

Last September our taxi fare from Il Jardi hotel to the Barcelona airport was 25 Euros (showing on the meter) 6 Euros for 2 bags and an additional 25 Euros for we don't know what. The driver insisted we owed that additional fare but couldn't really explain it. The taxi had been ordered by the hotel reception (we did not pick it off the street). We did pay the whole amount because we don't speak Spanish well enough to discuss it, but felt we had been ripped off.

I tried to get the hotel to explain the situation upon returning home to Canada, but they didn't have an explanation.

We will be in Barcelona again this September and needing, again, to get to the airport. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this extra charge might have been for?

My estimate for the Barcelona-airport fare is around 25-30 Euros & I believe I should pay only what the meter reads plus something for luggage. No?

Many thanks in advance for your information.

Isabelle

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,576 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of Taxi fare from Hotel Il Jardi to Barcelona airport

Sounds dodgy. As I understand it, when a taxi is called by an hotel, the journey starts from the point the taxi is when the call is received, so getting a car called by the hotel tends to be more expensive. Not that much more, though.

The driver that we had in February went to pains to tell us that we should not use hotels to call taxis because some of them demand a cut which pushes the cost up. I don't know how much truth there is in that.

I agree, about 25-30 for your trip. I suspect you might have been the victim of a scam. Ask for a receipt next time and if possible, don't get the hotel to arrange it for you.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,286 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of Taxi fare from Hotel Il Jardi to Barcelona airport

Isabelle,

Have a look at the Top Question on Taxi Fares and follow the link to the 2014 taxi fares. It's an official website with a PDF file. Not exactly user-friendly but you'll see that there's a maximum the taxi driver can charge for being called AND that luggage is free. It prob wasn't free the last time you visited.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,284 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of Taxi fare from Hotel Il Jardi to Barcelona airport

welltravelled:

So that taxi drivers do not take advantage of you, tell him that you will need a receipt. Many travelers on business do this all the time. The taxi driver knows that if he cheats you, you will be able to complain to the authorities and he may lose his license.

4. Re: cost of Taxi fare from Hotel Il Jardi to Barcelona airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:16