We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona beaches

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
861 posts
700 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona beaches

During our stay we were told that the city beaches used to be part of the port area until the 1992 Olympics. That likely explains their condition---rocky, dusty, dirty, steep with limited beach chair/service options. They are nice for "city" beaches but below vacation resort quality. I assume there are much nicer beaches elsewhere in Spain but I would not schedule a vacation to Barcelona just for beach time. The young party crowd probably likes the clubs nearby.

Torre del Mar, Spain
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona beaches

Get a bus to Lloret de Mar which has a nice beach, as does the Fenals area close by.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona beaches

Certainly... rocky dusty, dirty, steep and with limited services... yet all of them except one have a Blue European flag, curious, huh?

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,998 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona beaches

We found the beach pleasant enough when we mooched on one (the one in front of the Frank Gehry fish) when in BCN a few weeks ago.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,788 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona beaches

they have never been part of the port (well, centuries ago), and the main problem is that fall storms remove the sand and having ports around it makes really difficult that it comes back, so at the end they become artificial beaches. anyway, if anyone comes to Barcelona for the beach that persona has a problem, it is something else that the city can offer, but never should be the main goal coming here.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelona beaches

What area should we stay at to enjoy some beach time in Barcelona ?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona beaches

Hi again, inthegarden

To be frank, any... unless you intend to spend your whole holiday in the beach -which I somehow feel it's not your aim, is it?- it's better to choose a location based on the 'other' stuff you'll be doing as well. Say one day you want to go to the beach, no problem, there are plenty of ways (bus/metro) to take you to a beach, one of the 11 beaches of the city. Or even better, take the opp to have a day escapade to the lovely town of Sitges, barely 40' by train from the centre of Barcelona and you can kill two birds with one stone: lovely cute little Mediterranean town plus nice quiet beaches -better than Barcelona's.

SITGES: infocatalonia.eu/w/…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona beaches

Blue flags are awarded for environmental and safety reasons not for the beauty or enjoyability of the beach. Barcelona beaches are ok for what they are, but they are city beaches and nothing more. It's great that the city has beaches, but I would never consider Barcelona a beach destination.

http://www.blueflag.org/menu/criteria/beaches

inthegarden, the beaches are easily accessible by public transport. The closest areas to the beach are Barcelonetta and the district of Sant-Marti, but I would suggest staying somewhere more central. If you're really keen on going to the beach, perhaps you should split your holiday between Barcelona and a proper beach town.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona beaches

Thanks for the info on the beaches. I think I will be based more in the older part of Barcelona. I would to see Basilica, Gothic Quarter and Guell Palace. I would like to see some of Dali works.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,737 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona beaches

Barcelona is not a beach resort,it is destination for culture and history,with very good restraunts,bars,shops thrown in with the added bonus of several city beaches,most people visit there for the above not the beach,plus as enric pointed out all got the blue flag,so are perfectly clean and safe otherwise they would not if being awarded it.if you want a beach destination then the costa Brava or costa dorada either side of Barcelona should suit.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelona beaches

thanks for your insight.