We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi question

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
taxi question

I am considering taking taxis instead of the metro, so I won't be as worried about pick pockets. However, I know I still have to be careful everywhere I go. I will be staying in the Gothic Quarter. I will be having dinner in Poble Sec, El Born, Raval and Eixample. I think I might be able to walk to some of these areas. Are taxis readily available on the street? And how would I get some idea, for example, how much a taxi would be from Gothic Quarter to Poble Sec or Eixample? thank you, Igor

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi question

So I guess that you haven’t read all the horror stories about taxi drivers overcharging tourist then...?

Really, there are very good reasons to take a taxi instead of the metro (I personally take a taxi for lots of my trips within the city), but fear of pickpockets should not be one of them.

That said, since the Barri Gòtic is mostly a pedestrian area, by the time you get to a taxi you could already be halfway your destination (especially if you want to get to El Born or El Raval – so, yes, just walk there).

For other destinations, and depending on where exactly your hotel is, you should walk to Via Laietana, Plaça Catalunya or La Rambla to find a taxi. You can hail a taxi in the street (which I prefer) or go to a taxi stand. A green light on the roof indicates the taxi is available.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 20:16
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,331 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi question

And on the price: a trip within central Barcelona should normally not cost you more than 10€.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,575 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi question

igor:

I always take taxis when I am in Barcelona, usually to be able to see more places in a limited amount of time. You can flag taxis on the street in most places. I have usually spent 6 to 7 euros as fares downtown.

Taxis are cheap compared to the US.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 04:21
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,256 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi question

igor,

I am in your beautiful city today! Don't worry too much about pickpocketing on the metro. Use a secure bag (I love my PacSafe) and lock it whenever you're in a crowd. Wear it across your body. Keep your small change and T10 ticket in an accessible side picket. You will be fine.

The truth is, pickpockets can operate anywhere, not just on the metro. My secretary had her wallet stolen while waiting to cross the street in downtown Chicago. It was in her backpack, on her back.

5. Re: taxi question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16