We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Efficient Transportation

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Efficient Transportation

I am landing next Saturday in Barcelona at 11:50am. I am still contemplating which way of getting to Las Ramblas I should take. I assume the cheapest way is by train. Is it pretty direct by train?

Can anyone advise on the cost and trip duration from the airport to Las Ramblas by train and by taxi?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Efficient Transportation

The aerobus is a better option,from your terminal to placa catulyna,then either metro or taxi,or walk it in about 20 min,

Www.aerobusbarcelona

Or you could just get a taxi from the airport,25/30 euros approx for taxi.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 20:51
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,236 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Efficient Transportation

Train to Passeig de Gracia, transfer to metro. This costs 1.03€ using a T10 ticket. It is cheap but very inconvenient. Stairs, crowds, transfers, pickpockets. I would do it only if I had lots of time and no luggage.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Efficient Transportation

Thanks. So sounds like Aerobus is the best?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Efficient Transportation

I have to disagree with yorkshiregirl on this one. La Rambla is over a kilometre long so if you are heading for somewhere at the far end you have a long walk through heavy pedestrian traffic. If you decide to get a taxi from the Aerobus stop then you'll pay a little less than the cost of a taxi from the airport unless you're travelling alone, but with loads more hassle.

For efficiency a taxi is hard to beat. I actually timed how long we were in the queue for last month (counting in my head - I'm not a weirdo ;-) ) - 48 seconds - and there were several groups ahead of us. The taxi rank is right in front of you as you come through the airport doors. It's unlikely to take you more than 20 minutes to get to the door of your hotel unless traffic is really bad,

Aerobus is of course longer, plus you don't normally get dropped off at the door. The train is slower but clearly more cash-efficient. I've done the journey to and from the airport 50 or more times and have not yet been tempted by the Aerobus. We get a taxi unless we're not in a hurry when we arrive and sometimes get a taxi back as well. To my mind the Aerobus is only worth the bother if

1) you're travelling alone

2) your accommodation is near to the stop

3) you're not too budget conscious and

4) your not in a hurry to start your holiday.

If cash is tight, get the train but be prepared to get cross at Passeig de Gracia (or work out a longer route changing at Sants, perhaps). If time is valuable, take a taxi.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,785 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Efficient Transportation

I've said it some times, by train to plaça Catalunya it is much better and easier transfer to a second train at Sants. Take any train that pass by platform 8 and 5 minutes later you are in plaça Catalunya.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Efficient Transportation

Thanks everyone. According to Google Maps, the apartment I'm staying at on Las Ramblas is only 6 minute walk from Placa Catalunya. It seems like the Aerobus is kind of the happy medium between the taxi and train. I am not super tight on cash, but to save some cash I think opting for the Aerobus and a 6 minute walk doesn't sound too bad.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,600 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Efficient Transportation

Well it's down hill. If you have large bags to carry do watch out for pickpockets. There are few more obvious targets than newly arrived tourists with their hands full.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Efficient Transportation

Thanks! Perhaps a quick taxi from Catalunya may be better. Side question: being American we tip everyone in service industries. What kind of tipping customs for taxi drivers is normal in Spain?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Efficient Transportation

I just round up say if its 28.50,ill give them 30,and say keep the change,same in bars,restraunts etc,mind you i do tend to give a seperste tip in restraunts as well,especially if the service was very good.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,072 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Efficient Transportation

Nobody expects you to tip a taxi driver, lots of people pay the exact amount. (But there is nothing with rounding up to the next Euro or so. Even if you do this simply because it's easier...)