We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange

Hi ,

We will be in Barcelona in Oct., any advice on currency exchange ..where,....at airport ??

My BankofA rate here is not competitive while both my credit and debit card will charge extra Transaction fee too !!

Thanks any suggestions you may have,

Woody

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange

Either a bank,travel agent,or a tabac shop.i use my Santander card as i don't get charged,but on the odd occasion i have changed money ive found the tabacs have good rates

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,171 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange

There might be places with worse exchange rates than airports, but you have to look hard. For a laugh I checked the exchange rate for £s to Euros in a UK airport last week. They were offering 1.01 Euros for the £. My debit card, (also Santander) gave me 1.25. That is a huge difference.

You've got 3 months. Time to find a bank that offers a card with low/zero transaction/commission charges, or perhaps a card that you can pre-load at a low rate. Changing cash is seldom a cost-efficient way of getting foreign currency.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange

Would not suggest exchanging currency at Barcelona airport particularly not grupo gloabal exchange.

I had a bad experience with then on departure. Converted $450 AUD into Singapore $ for a stop over & received $350.00. Should have got $520.00 as AUD bought $1.20 SGD in the day. Took receipts back to booth & suddenly they didn't understand English.

I suggest a travel debit card & using ATM. You pay a small fee but you don't get ripped off like I did.

4. Re: Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:15