We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Hello all :)

My boyfriend and I are visiting Barcelona from August 5th- August 8th. We've been before so would like to spend a couple of days exploring the area around Barcelona.

I've read about some places but would appreciate your insider advice :) particularly...

- We'd like to spend some time relaxing at the beach, is Sitges worth the trip from BCN and the best beach option for people without a car?

- Sant Sadurni d'Anoia sounds nice, particularly since we are fans of cava and wine! We'd like to visit Freixenet in particular. Is there anything else of interest to do in this area?

- Vilafranca also seems like a good option, mainly because of the wine tasting opportunities!

Do people think it would it be possible to visit both Vilafranca and Sant Sadurni d'Anoia in one day without a car? ... And if so, how?

- Another place I've briefly read about is Girona, which also sounds and looks lovely from the photos I've seen.

The problem is we only really want to spend 2 days maximum doing day trips, so don't have time to visit all these places! What would people recommend? Any transportation details to/from/between these places would be appreciated too!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Oh blimey, and now Montserrat has come to my attention! Decisions decisions...

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,162 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

paintpots:

Read the top questions about day trips on the right panel.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Hey :)

The info on the right seems good for when I've decided where to go, but I can't find anything too specific, for example, on whether Villa and Sant Sadurni d'Anoia can be done in one day without a car or people's "top recommendations" based on the places I've listed.

Thanks, there's so much information though, I'll keep reading other threads!

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Hi,

Your best bet for SSdA and Vilafranca is to take the Rodalies train service. (Line R4 i think) Its cheap and very easy to use. The same for Girona. There is a new service that started this year called the RG1 which goes direct from Barcelona but i think it only goes every couple of hours. Otherwise you'll have to change at Macanet-Massanes, but its very easy. Check the Rodalies website for details.

We visited both Girona and the Freixenet HQ and i would recommend both.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Thank you, that's very helpful :)

There's so much to plan I keep getting myself confused :S

Do you think Girona and Freixenet could be done in half a day? (or, be back in BCN for 6pm?)

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Freixenet yes, if that's all you do in SSda, as its next to the train station. The journey is just under an hour from Barcelona and the tour just over an hour, so if you got on a morning tour you could be back in Barcelona by mid afternoon. You will need to book with Freixenet in advance though.

You'll need a whole day for Girona. It'll be 2 hours each way on the train and you'll need a good 3/4 hours at least to enjoy the city itself.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

That's great, thank you. I think perhaps we will leave Girona for another time then, as there's so much we want to do in Barcelona still!

I've heard Montserrat can be done in half a day if you start early enough too...ahhh...still decisions to be made, four days just isn't enough :)

Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

We're going mid Oct. and decided on Sitges for a beach/town relax day and Montserrat another day. First time to Barcelona. Sitges seems easy to get to and a relaxing town to wander around and some beach time.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

I'm not sure that anything can be "done" in half a day, but really, half a day to Montserrat is for the coach tripper. The monastery is of limited interest. The building is unremarkable. The relic is interesting if you are particularly religious. The choir is supposed to be good. The setting, however, is splendid - BUT - getting up to the summit ridge (by funicular) and perhaps walking to the summit, and easy few hours on well made paths with only a bit of ascent is so much better. For that, you need a day.

The 1st time I went to Montserrat was on a coach with only a short stop and to be honest, it was disappointing. I couldn't wait to return and see more. The 2nd visit was much more satisfying and I walked straight past the church.

If you want to see a truly beautiful religious building, then the Pedralbes Monastery is hugely superior and doesn't get many coach trips. It's in Barcelona and can certainly be "done" in half a day.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips from Barcelona - Sitges, Girona, Vilafranca...?

Thank you for your messages pandachris and astontravellor :) If we went to Montserrat it would indeed be for the walking and scenery - we'd take a picnic along I think and spend some time enjoying the views.

Thanks to all your tips, I've sort of decided on the following...

A morning/early afternoon at Sitges beach, then back to BCN

...cop out and leave the decision between Montserrat and Freixenet until we're in Barcelona. If it gets to day 3 and we feel we've seen enough in Barcelona (we've been before so that's possible) we'll go to Montserrat for the day. If there's still things we want to do in Barca, we'll go to Freixenet for a morning/early PM.

Thanks again all!