We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

Hi, Heading over to watch my son play in an academy football tournament in September in Manresa. Hoping to have a break at the same time between his matches. I have a couple of questions which I hope you can help me with

- Are we better to stay in Barcelona and go to Manresa during the day and back to Barcelona in the evenings, I have never been to Barcelona and would like to spend some time there.

- I see we can get a train the R5 to Manresa which runs on the hour over the weekends. Can you get three day tickets for this..? And does anyone know how much they cost.

- If we hired a car is it easy to find and where then would be best to stay in Barcelona with parking....

Hopefully someone can help... many thanks in advance.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

What dates? How many matches? Do you have the dates and times of the matches?

Manresa is easy to drive to but you would probably need to stay on the north side of Barcelona, i.e. out of the city. It's not a dreadful idea, though. Let us know the dates and we'll come up with some ideas.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

Just had a quick look on booking.com, searching on the Sarria-Sant Gervasi area because

a) it should be good for access to the road for Manresa

b) it has plenty of hotels and

c) it's not bad for getting to the city centre and has pleasant areas in walking distance.

I found the Hotel Via Augusta, which might be perfect for you because it is on the main road that eventually becomes, via the Tunels de Valvidrera, the motorway to Manresa and it has parking. It's also close to the Gracia railway station and not far to the Fontana metro station, for access to the city centre.

Nb - I would expect that you'll have to pay for parking and the motorway is a toll road. From memory it cost less than 10€ for the Barcelona/Manresa section last month. We nearly drove into Manresa to have a look but got side-tracked. The motorway toll plazas take credit and debit cards and I have a feeling that a couple of them (there might be three or four on that section of road) are unmanned so have cash or card handy when you set off, if you decide to do it this way.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

Hi Noelle,

I'll tell you some facts about Barcelona y with this information you may be able to decide whether to stay on Manresa or Barcelona.

- First of all, Barcelona has lots to offer to tourist, there is a great deal of culture, arquitecture, museums, food, etc. there are a lots of places that are worth seeing in the city. Manresa may not have this much offer.

- Bad thing about Barcelona, it is very, very hard to find parking on the street, if you find one very lucky or it may be paid parking. Nevertheless there are some companys that rent cars by the hours, and I understand that is a lot cheaper than renting a car by the day.

- The trains, you can take a train to Manresa, they leave like every thirty minutes, a single ticket may cost around 6,15 Euros, the cheaper choice will be to buy a T10, this is a 10 trips ticket, it cost around 43 Euros and it can be use by more than one person at once, I mean it is multiperson.

- Taking the train or car to travel from Barcelona to Manresa may take about the same amount of time, it will also depend weather you are on the rush hour or not.

- It looks like the tournament last only three days and going to Manresa during the day and then coming back the evening seems like a good option, I would do that, mostly because I like Barcelona Better.

- Staying on a place in between Barcelona and Manresa are also another option, but it will probably mean and extra effort to come back from any of the cities.

Good luck on your trip.

Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

Thanks 13 Santos and pandachris 2 for really helpful feedback. The tournament is the first weekend in September ( 5-7th). I am more inclined to use the train if it works as I would like to stay closer to centre in Barcelona and from I read parking is a nightmare in this area so a car wouldn’t work. Good to hear that the T10 ticket would work as this would make transport more reasonable. There will be 3 of us going so it’s add up travelling back and forward over the 3 days.

The train I need is the R5 (please correct me if I am wrong!). It leaves from Plaça de Espanya would it be better to stay around here .. I would prefer not to spend my trip to barcelona travelling around the metro system!!!

Thanks again !

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

R5 is correct.Takes about 80 minutes and passes the famous mountain of Montserrat, I think - sit on the left, facing forward when leaving Barcelona to see the views.

Placa de Espanya would be a good area to stay to reduce your travelling at the start and end of the day. You will probably want to use the metro to get around the city when you're not in Manresa but you won't have the pressure of having to get across town to get the train north if you are within walking distance of the main station. There are lots of hotels in the vicinty. You will also be handily placed for the Magic Fountains.

6. Re: Heading to Manresa is it better to stay in Barcelona?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:17