We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with transfers/car hire please!

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with transfers/car hire please!

I arrive in to Barcelona Airport on 25th August at 10pm. I then need to travel to LLoret De Mar. There will be myself and my husband with my elderly father and 2 small children.

The coach transfer looks to take around 2 hours which sounds grim. I've looked at hiring a car but then the reviews look bad for every company i look at. Are the queues always hours and hours long at the airport?

I don't know what to do for the best! Can anyone recommend the best way to get there?

Thanks in advance x

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with transfers/car hire please!

Queues? No. We waited about 15 minutes last month but there were several flights arriving at the same time. Normally it has been less.

Some rental agencies get a bad press because they have off-airport premises and don't seem good at getting people to them quickly. Most of the major companies (Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc) are on the airport and seconds from the arrivals gate.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with transfers/car hire please!

Really? Oh right, that sounds great then!

Firefly for instance get really bad reviews with some people saying they queued for 4 hours! I just couldnt bear that with children.

I've seen terrible queues at Malaga airport for cars and just wondered whether this was the norm?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,337 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with transfers/car hire please!

Not for us, at any rate. We've rented cars from the airport many times. I think Firefly are off airport, though. We used Europcar last time. From memory the Hertz desk had no queues at all and neither did Sixt, though I wasn't paying that much attention.

The better known companies might be a little more expensive although the insistence of some of the cheaper ones in using a full/empty fuel policy and charging an excessive amount for the first tank certainly reduces the difference.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,661 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with transfers/car hire please!

Eurocar,minutes from arrivals,we've only ever waited 10\15 min max,and that's being when loads of flights land around same time,between, 10 am to 7 pm is busiest,but europcar tends to have severall on the desk and moves pretty fast

5. Re: Help with transfers/car hire please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 06:16