We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

What can I expect for food offerings in Barcelona ?

I can eat chicken .. Some veggies and fruits .. Olive oil but NO garlic or onions ..

Can I order foods without ?

Also staying on the coast for a week ? We rented a house there ..

Should I be concerned about bugs ?

Anyone have any difficulties ? House is gorgeous right on the coast .. But never having traveled to Barcelona before I am a bit nervous ..

Thank you ..

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
London, England
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

If I were you I would take a laminated card with you explaining in Spanish, your allergies. My cousin has done this a number of times in Spain and find it works well.

As far as bugs are concerned, I'm not quite sure what you expect to find? You will probably encounter flies and mosquitoes and maybe the odd cockroach.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
66,376 posts
3,763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

emt:

"No puedo comer ajos o cebollas." Write that down on a card and show it to any waiter. They will understand.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

I woudl actually write "SOY ALERGICO (or alergicA if you're female) a los ajos y cebollas". The sentence by Benny above is perfectly correct, but I would emphasize you're actually allergic.

Food offerings? you can get virtually everything here! Have a look at the Top Questions about DINNING & SHOPPING in the left menu (change to full site if you're in a smartphone) --->

Especially tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187497-c162830/Barce…

A bit puzzled about your question about bugs too ;-)

Boston
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

Are you on FODMAP? I also need to avoid garlic and onions etc. going to Barecelona end Sept. Any suggestions?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,469 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

... Hi Suzang, see if this helps:

https:/… -it's a fairly new website

bcnrestaurantes.com/eng/… (I know you didn't mention gluten but still just in case)

timeout.cat/barcelona/…menjar-per-a-celiacs -can't find the English version, use Google Translate

apartcelonadays.es/index.php/en/blog_en/89-k…

Edited: 25 August 2014, 13:56
Berkshires
Level Contributor
17 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

I actually am on the FODmaps diet ..

I just returned from Barcelona and Begur ..

Barcelona is a huge city and you should have no problems ..

I was able to order most things plain or simply prepared without sauce ..

I stressed this to the server but also had a card which clearly stated no onions or garlic .. No sauces please ..

I checked with my nutritionist and she told me I could eat Iberian ham and small amounts of bread ..

I did and had no problems as well ..

We also spent ten days in Begur .. A small town on the coast .. Gorgeous and full of lovely little restaurants .. I had no problem there either .. I went to a couple of grocery stores and was able to prepare some simple things at home .. Fruit is abundant there .. I bought my own gluten free rice crackers but found they had them there too .. I brought cans of tuna but found them there as well ..

Please feel free to ask any additional questions ..

Esther ..

Boston

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Begur
Begur
Costa Brava, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

Hi! I would recommend you to use Allergychef.es It's a website where you can make online restaurant reservations and send your food allergies directly to the chef. All the restaurants have been trained so you don't have to worry about anything! I hope it helps!

8. Re: Food in barcelona ... I have a few food allergies ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2015, 05:15