We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Barcelona to Madrid

My husband and I want to catch a soccer game, but the only game playing while we are in Barcelona is a Madrid game in Madrid. Do you think it is realistic for us to take a train to Madrid to catch the game for the day and then take it back home that night? If so how do I go about booking a train ride there? Does a subway go there too? Please help! Thank you!

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,946 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

You would take the high speed AVE train. Buy round trip tickets and look for the P=Promotion fare. For 2 people, it will be the cheapest. If you are 4 people, look for the Mesa fare. If you are traveling relatively soon and cheap tickets are sold out, try buying 4 Mesa tickets for the 2 of you. Here's a guide on buying Renfe tickets online. Make sure to notify your credit card company first before you buy.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c80518/Madrid…

The journey is 2.5 hrs o/w. Some TA members have done a daytrip to Madrid but most people spend more time there. Another option is flying. I don't know what time the match ends but if it's like the FC Barcelona matches, you might be too late for the last train/plane.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

Thank you! It looks like the train ride is over 100 euros one way! Is there a cheaper way of getting there?

Torrox Costa, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torrox
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

The bus is cheaper, €58 return, BUT it takes 8 hours each way.

http://www.alsa.es/en/

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,946 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

100€ must be full fare. What date are you going?

5. Re: Train from Barcelona to Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 06:15