We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
542 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

I have "searched" with the keyword "coffee", but not found this topic before.

Having visited Barcelona on two occasions, I am embarrassed to admit not being able to order a coffee drink in either Castilian or Catalan.

My preferred morning coffee is equal parts of espresso and hot water. This differs from an "Americano" by the smaller amount of water which is my preference. In some instances, if I order "Americano", then I am served terribly diluted coffee.

Will someone please suggest an appropriate way to request this drink? Sometimes espresso, while very very good, is too intense for me.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

I don't drink coffee but I guess that you could order a "cafe largo" or a "espresso doble". Probably a coffee lover could give you a better advise

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Not seen anything like that but suppose you could ask for it?

I'm usually an espresso/double espresso/americano sort of coffee drinker with the occasional cafe con leche thrown in.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

i think best it is to explain what you want and hope for the best. There is no direct translation because coffee culture in spain is different from other countries.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

This thread was fairly recent

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187525-i191-k52…

Graham

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Ah Graham, I'm afraid the member posting there (which is DE for Benidorm) is referring to the names used in that region, some we share (although in Catalan) but others we don't (ie. café sombra, etc).

Over here, we ask for a "cafè" and it means a cafe solo, with a splash of milk and you ask for a "tallat" or a "trencat", if a decaffeinated cafe with a splash of skimmed milk and you say "un desgraciat" (literally, a 'miserable', lol!), for a coffee with a splash of rum/brandy you say "un cigaló" (see-ga-loh, intonation in the last syllable) and if specifically with rum Pujol (a local brand) then it's an "honorable" (a sort of joke because the president of Catalonia for 30 years was Jordi Pujol and the title to which a president is referred to is "molt honorable" -your honor), a "bombonet" or "biberó" (bee-beh-roh, intonation in the last syllable) would be a coffee with condensed milk, a "perfumat" would be with a splash of anise, "irlandès" for an Irish coffee (whisky, sugar and cream), "cremat", "recuelo", "suís", "vienès"... there are plenty of names for different coffee-based drinks.

Then, if we're talking about coffee only, you have as Slatkin_10 said, an "americà", but also: "expresso", "amb gel" (with ice), "llarg", "caputxino", "descafeïnat", "doble"...

The fact is though that here in Catalonia there's no a real standardisation of the names, especially when you enter into the realm of "coffee with..." and you'll find different names being used depending on the area within Catalonia, and even within Barcelona itself -in the account there are people from everywhere living in the city.

Aston, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
923 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Sounds like we'll have our morning coffee from the Nespresso machine in our room to avoid being embarrassed because I cant figure out how to order a simple coffee.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
542 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

So maybe a "doble america" will do it for me? Would that request likely yield 2 shots of espresso in a cup with water, and hot?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Karen, in most places they will speak enough English to understand so you should be fine.

In the UK we get told we drink too much alcohol, yet we don't put alcohol in coffee as a rule ;)

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,347 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Jon, the heat of the coffee causes the alcohol to boil off. Do you think we're mad?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee in BCN, how to order correctly?

Mon Dieu Jon, what a silly suggestion!!! hahaha!