We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tablao de carmen flamenco show

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
tablao de carmen flamenco show

we are thinking about going to this flamenco show. in researching this, i know flamenco is not a Barcelona "specialty" but this show is one of the better ones. i also understand that it is not worth it to get the dinner.

i have a couple of questions with the above being said.

we will be going to the 7 PM show and drinks. could anyone recommend a restaurant nearby?

i understand it is in the area of the magic fountain and a walkable town.

is this show something worth doing?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

'walkable town'?? don't know what you mean...

Re:flamenco, it's not a matter of specialty it's a matter of being foreign to the local culture. Barcelona is the capital of a region, Catalonia, that has little to do with other parts of Spain... it has different language, culture and customs. Despite having had a sizable influx of migrants from the south of Spain in the 50-60s, where flamenco is typical, it hasn't 'spread' in Catalonia. These days, while you have a handful of places offering this type of show, most of them are purely touristy. Without judging its quality, many are 'just for display' if you catch my drift. I'm told that if flamenco music is what you're really after, it's best to attend shows which are focused in the music, not the colourful setups. And to that extend, Jazzsí Club seems to outstand: tallerdemusics.com/en/…

Yet, if you prefer Tablao de la Carmen, you could try for a place to grab a bite in Les Arenes Shopping Mall in Plaça Espanya, the top floor has restaurants while the main floor has tapas bars.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

walkable town= small village quaint shops no cars

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

Instead of going to Les Arenes for your dinner after the show, I'd personally go towards the Poble Sec / Paral·lel area (about the same distance - a 15-20 minutes walk from Poble Espanyol, where the show is). There are lots of bars and restaurants in that area, and it will be more authentic than the places in the shopping mall.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

Pretty scholarly - and balanced:

…gencat.cat/portal/…

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

... whatever darius, but I'm not judging nor lecturing I'm just stating... one only needs to 'go out there' and see what the reality of flamenco is in Catalonia.

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

I've been "out" everywhere, Enric. No sermonising intended either from my side. It's an authoritative link well rooted in documented fact. I haven't authored it. No personal umbrage intended by the way, never mind the unwarranted "whatever".

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

apologies for the 'whatever', it wasn't meant to be disrespectful

karachi
Level Contributor
647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

You are an extremely nice, friendly and helpful fellow - with a good sense of humour as well (!) Come, there is no need to apologise. My dear and departed forum friend, Chris-the-Scotsman would have positively doted on you!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

i think i will take kbccn's recommendation, would hate to eat in a shopping mall.....

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,520 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tablao de carmen flamenco show

sorry meant kbbcn :)