We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

I am planning to drive from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona. I know this is 1000 km drive. Is there any town worth to stopover for overnight stay along the way ?

Is there any scenic road along this journey that we can enjoy the sightseeing.

Thank you.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

main places worth stopping (in order): Lugo, Ponferrada, Astorga, Leon, Burgos, Logroño, Zaragoza, Lleida. I would choose either Burgos or Logroño for an overnight stay.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

From your question I understand that you plan to do this in 2 days (i.e. not a multi-day road trip)?

A nice place to spend the night, about half way, is Burgos. The cathedral by itself is worth a stop.

On the scenic route: if you only plan one stopover you will not have too much flexibility on the route, since the more scenic routes, more to the North than the direct one, would lead you into mountain terrain with slower roads.

There are some possibilities, but if you can first confirm us how much time you have...

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

I presently have customers stay with us. They broke the journey up into three phases.

So the reverse of them is Burgos then Zaragoza.

scenic road? well that is a mater of opinion and I find say between Astorga and Logroño (perhaps a bit further) a boring road. With little real scenic interest. Unless you stop off at the historic towns and cities.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
118 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

Thank you for the suggestions. Maybe I forgot to mention, my travel will happen at the end of December. I just want to know the possibility driving through scenic road in Galicia, Asturias and Navarra during this time. Then I may spare 2-3 days driving from Santiago to Barcelona.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

End of December could mean bad weather, rain foggy, snow, frosty mornings.

Hopefully you will get some sun.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,592 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

With 2 stops the logical choices for the stops would indeed be Burgos and Zaragoza. But at the end of December the weather might be a problem if you move away from the main route into higher terrain. I'd stick to the direct route and spend the extra time looking around in whatever place you decide to spend the night.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 07:32
7. Re: Driving from Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:17